Boat Leveler/Trim tab question

Notices

Boat Leveler/Trim tab question

Old 07-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boat Leveler/Trim tab question

Hey Guys

Thanks to "Mark" here on Offshore Only I was able to get a replacement pump/motor for my boat leveler trim tabs, I got looking at my existing set up and the hydraulic hoses are SO tight that there is hardly ANY slack in them, it appears to me that whoever did the original install either cut them too short, or measured wrong and they ended up being too short, regardless, I would like to keep the same location for the pump, but, extend the lines and route them a little better. I have already sourced the hyraulic hose and bought two 10 foot sections, so, I will have lots to play with, they attach the barb fittings on the "pump" end, but, I wondered how they attached at the "tab" end? Are they crimped on from the factory? if so, can you remove and/or re install them? There is a hydraulic supply house up the street from where I work, so, I should be able to source the fitting if need be, but, want to make sure it will come apart before I tear into it. My other option is to use a Male union and connect the existing lines to a short length of replacement line, but, this isn't the route I would prefer to go. [I hate to 1/2 ass stuff together, would rather take the time and do it right]

Any Input or idea's would be appreciated, I am home now, and the boat is at the cottage, so, I cant look at it, but, hoped someone might be able to offer some input,

THANKS!
Michael
Old 07-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I have Boat Leveler tabs on my 22' Progression that I installed myself. The tab end of the hyraulic hose is attached to the top of the cylinder with a rather flimsy looking slip on type compression fitting. All you do is slide the collar onto the hydraulic line, then slip the line over the male barb on the cylinder, then slide the collar down over the line on the barb.
It's a rather notorius weak point and if you run your boat hard enough in rough water, it will blow the line off there. Some folks I know run a small hose clamp over the collars.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

Great! Thanks for the info, so, I SHOULD be able to just undo the compression fittinng and re use it? Or discard it altogether and just use gear clamps? Are there any special tools needed to remove the fitting?

Thanks! for the help!
Michael
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by n20michael
Great! Thanks for the info, so, I SHOULD be able to just undo the compression fittinng and re use it? Or discard it altogether and just use gear clamps? Are there any special tools needed to remove the fitting?

Thanks! for the help!
Michael
Depending on how old the fittings (collars) are, you might be able to reuse them. If they're too old, they get crispy and break - either when you remove them or shortly there after. To remove them, you're supposed to be able to slip them back up the hydraulic line until they're free of the barbed fitting underneath. A set of smooth / curved jaw Vise Grips set to very loosely grip the collar are all you need.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also found that the hoses I could find at my local source would fit the barb, but were too large OD to fit the compression sleeve. Ended up ordering some from boat leveler.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered new hose from BL and they sent along more SS clamps like what is used at the pump to use in place of the plastic sleeves. Just getting the hose on was a chore with the fear of breaking off the plastic barb.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

If I can get the hose over the barb at the "trim tab" end, do you think I could just a couple of heavy duty gear clamps to secure it? I am doing this on a 24ft Baja with basically stock power, so, I am not gonna be doing any ocean running or tripple digit speeds

Thanks for the help! Once I get this sorted I am gonna try and sort out the trim tab indicators, the lights come on at the top and bottom of the gauge, but, dont move with the tabs, the indicators are the style that "clamp" over the trim rams, I was told by someone to try "twisting" the indicators side to side to see if that helped, which I am gonna do, but, if not, are they hard to rebuild? or are there any other [wiring?] common problems I should check first? Let me know, and THANKS! for the help!

Michael
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my hoses as well and took a heat gun to warm the ends up a little then dipped them in tranny fluid to get them on. Make sure you work quick after heating them, once they cool a little you'll be fighting to get them the rest of the way on. I just used SS Hose Clamps to keep them on, never one problem coming off. I run 60 by the way. As for the indicator, if you find out how to fix it, let me know as I have the same problem. I just go by feel now but it would still be nice to have working I guess.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by n20michael
If I can get the hose over the barb at the "trim tab" end, do you think I could just a couple of heavy duty gear clamps to secure it? I am doing this on a 24ft Baja with basically stock power, so, I am not gonna be doing any ocean running or tripple digit speeds

Thanks for the help! Once I get this sorted I am gonna try and sort out the trim tab indicators, the lights come on at the top and bottom of the gauge, but, dont move with the tabs, the indicators are the style that "clamp" over the trim rams, I was told by someone to try "twisting" the indicators side to side to see if that helped, which I am gonna do, but, if not, are they hard to rebuild? or are there any other [wiring?] common problems I should check first? Let me know, and THANKS! for the help!

Michael
Yes, you'll be just fine with a couple of radiator style hose clamps. Just don't get silly when you tighten them down. I run two clamps on both of mine (the clamps are indexed 180 degrees apart by the way) and I've never had a problem on my Progression. And I've run it hard in some pretty hellacious water too.