Water pressure guage on closed cooling 525 >

Water pressure guage on closed cooling 525

Notices

Water pressure guage on closed cooling 525

Old 07-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pressure guage on closed cooling 525

Can anyone tell me were to hookup a water pressure guage on a Merc 525 with a closed cooling system to monitor the raw water pressure that comes from the sea water pick up? I have a sea strainer installled and think it would be helpfull for knowing when it is cloged up.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

I have mine tee'd on the hose just before the heat exchanger but after the oil and power steering cooler. I dont have a sea strainer but I'd put it after the strainer so your not clogging the gauge or the line to the gauge.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I drill and tap the end cap of the heat exchanger and put the pressure fitting there. Works great.
Eddie
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by daytonaboating
Can anyone tell me were to hookup a water pressure guage on a Merc 525 with a closed cooling system to monitor the raw water pressure that comes from the sea water pick up? I have a sea strainer installled and think it would be helpfull for knowing when it is cloged up.
I found this post and installed mine the same way on my 525's this summer. It was very easy to do and did not have to cut or drill anything. Also as stated, it measures the same pressure as the smartcraft.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...g-engines.html

Re: Water Pressure gauge hookup on closed cooling engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the 525 there is a pressure sender on the top starboard side of the oil cooler on the back of the motor. We take this sender out and install a tee in the cooler with the sender on top and the gauge to the side. This will show you the same pressure the computer see's and is before the water passes through the coolers.
Steve Schmidt
Competitive Edge Marine
I can take pics if you need them
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Registered

Fountain installed a Tee fitting on top of the oil cooler port where the ECM water pressure sensor is located. At least, that is where mine is located. Same as is listed above in the Competitive Edge Marine blurb.

Last edited by bob_t; 11-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.