Notices

Drive Steering Wobble

Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Steering Wobble

Hi All,

Had my boat out last weekend cruising in flat water around 3600 RPM. The motor seemed to bog down for about 10 or 15 seconds to around 1500 RPM then back up to 3600. When it came back up to 3600 it had a wobble that could be felt in the boat, especially the steering. No Weird noises or anything. Throttled it back and cruised to the boat launch and took it home.

Boat is 26ft Baja, single Engine, Bravo One with IMCO dual ram hydraulic steering.

Where do I start?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered

what kind of shape is the prop in did you bend it maybe
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
what kind of shape is the prop in did you bend it maybe
I checked the prop (4 blade 24p Bravo) by holding a square on the cavitation plate and spinning the prop by hand. Looked like two blades were about 1/8" off the other two. No evidence of contact on any of the blades. Would this amount of mis-alignment cause a really significant wobble?

My first thought was I might have hit a piece of rope that wrapped around the prop bogging the engine down before the rope broke. Might have tweeked a couple of blades in the process....not sure if this is likely, or if it would effect the blades.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

wouldnt think rope would bend blades but i guess it could be possible, maybe check the hub assembly make sure it looks good , see if you can get your hands on another prop and see if problem goes away, should not be in the steering with that setup
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply,

I'll go over the drive carefully and put my other prop on and see what happens.

Jeff