A 982 mile deception....

Notices

A 982 mile deception....

Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A 982 mile deception....

December of 2009 I sold a set of Sportmaster 25" fat shaft gearcases to a very personable and friendly individual who convinced me he was as honest as the day is long. And for the most part he was. He paid me for the gearcases and I shipped them to him. The problem is:

He told me matter of factly that he needed the 25's, when they arrived I sent an individual to Manvel Texas to install the gearcases on this fellows 26 DCB (at my cost). My guy called me and said they wouldn't fit, he has 20's. So the owner sent me the gearcases back and a set of 20" shafts that he had re-ground and surfaced from his old sporty's. I installed the shafts in the new cases and returned the gearcases with the 20" shafts back to him in less than a week because I knew he wanted to get on the water.

He also had no props for the larger shafts so I borrowed a set of Mazco's from another client. The set was on loan to me but were for sale in the event they worked.

As a part of this deal once the owner received the new gearcases he would return his standard shaft sporty's to me so I could build them and resell, as well as either purchase the props or return them once he ran the boat.

$3500.00 for the 25" Fatshaft Sportmasters
$1104.89 for disassembly, bearings, re-assembly with 20" shafts, gearlube, labor, shipping etc...

So now 7 months later this same individual won't answer my calls, nor return calls after several requests to do so via voicemail. I had my guy in Texas call him so he wouldn't recognize my number and he picked up. But after he was asked to call me he has failed to do so.

I think I bent over backwards to facilitate this persons desire to get on the water ASAP, we had a verbal agreement as to the terms and conditions of the merchandise provided and what was expected in return. I upheld my end of the agreement he welched on his. I even offered to come to Texas and do the work myself if it meant getting the job done.

So as a result I have to pay for the props, and I am out a set of gearcases that would have allowed me to turn a profit on this deal when I rebuilt and resold them.

It's unfortunate when folks take for granted that their hobby is some other folks livelyhood. On the brightside it wasn't a 10,000.00+ loss like some of you guys have endured.

So sometimes it's the otherway around, some of us service guys get screwed too. It doesn't change how I do business or the extent I'll go to keep my clients happy.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

That sucks.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trippin
December of 2009 I sold a set of Sportmaster 25" fat shaft gearcases to a very personable and friendly individual who convinced me he was as honest as the day is long. And for the most part he was. He paid me for the gearcases and I shipped them to him. The problem is:

He told me matter of factly that he needed the 25's, when they arrived I sent an individual to Manvel Texas to install the gearcases on this fellows 26 DCB (at my cost). My guy called me and said they wouldn't fit, he has 20's. So the owner sent me the gearcases back and a set of 20" shafts that he had re-ground and surfaced from his old sporty's. I installed the shafts in the new cases and returned the gearcases with the 20" shafts back to him in less than a week because I knew he wanted to get on the water.

He also had no props for the larger shafts so I borrowed a set of Mazco's from another client. The set was on loan to me but were for sale in the event they worked.

As a part of this deal once the owner received the new gearcases he would return his standard shaft sporty's to me so I could build them and resell, as well as either purchase the props or return them once he ran the boat.

$3500.00 for the 25" Fatshaft Sportmasters
$1104.89 for disassembly, bearings, re-assembly with 20" shafts, gearlube, labor, shipping etc...

So now 7 months later this same individual won't answer my calls, nor return calls after several requests to do so via voicemail. I had my guy in Texas call him so he wouldn't recognize my number and he picked up. But after he was asked to call me he has failed to do so.

I think I bent over backwards to facilitate this persons desire to get on the water ASAP, we had a verbal agreement as to the terms and conditions of the merchandise provided and what was expected in return. I upheld my end of the agreement he welched on his. I even offered to come to Texas and do the work myself if it meant getting the job done.

So as a result I have to pay for the props, and I am out a set of gearcases that would have allowed me to turn a profit on this deal when I rebuilt and resold them.

It's unfortunate when folks take for granted that their hobby is some other folks livelyhood. On the brightside it wasn't a 10,000.00+ loss like some of you guys have endured.

So sometimes it's the otherway around, some of us service guys get screwed too. It doesn't change how I do business or the extent I'll go to keep my clients happy.
So, does this guy have a name and is he a member here?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if he's a member here or not, I would suspect he is, but probably not active.

Richard Jones
9434 Sandy lane
Manvel, Texas 77578
713-705-6733
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trippin
I dont know if he's a member here or not, I would suspect he is, but probably not active.

Richard Jones
9434 Sandy lane
Manvel, Texas 77578
713-705-6733

Looks like he owns Bristol Metals LLC
http://www.brismet.com/RichardJones.php
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think he owns it, more like a sales agent according to the map.

Still, all of the info matches up, unless the scammer stole the guys info from that website.