Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rinker Captiva 262 SS performance ??? >

Rinker Captiva 262 SS performance ???

Notices

Rinker Captiva 262 SS performance ???

Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinker Captiva 262 SS performance ???

I recently purchased a pretty rare boat and finding specs or even articles has been pretty tough. The few blurbs I have found online have pretty much come from searching here. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ance-boat.html
I am hoping to get some info from you guys.

2002 Rinker Captiva 262 SS, 496 MAG (base) Bravo 1, 1.50, 15.25X24 4 blade Bravo 1 prop. 4800 pounds empty. The engine seems strong and runs smooth throughout the rev range. Whole boat has 40 hours.

From what I see, this boat should run at least 60 or better. My best has been 51 on GPS at about 4500 rpm. It acts like it's over propped in my limited opinion. I'm not sure if I am down on power or this boat really isn't as fast as I have heard it to be.

Does anybody have thoughts on this?

PS- here are some recent pictures

PS-my buddy was out yesterday with hos Baja 272 Islander 502, 420hp. With his labbed prop he is hitting 72-74 on GPS. That boat is even heavier than mine.

It just seems to me like there is a problem

Last edited by HardmanGT; 07-26-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty low hours for an '02 boat. Did you do a thorough look through, plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor? Bots tend to get a bit old just sitting around. Could be the injectors are a bit dirty as well. Maybe it just needs a few tanks of fuel and run time. Very strong old engine, and that's a heavy boat.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Pretty low hours for an '02 boat. Did you do a thorough look through, plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor? Bots tend to get a bit old just sitting around. Could be the injectors are a bit dirty as well. Maybe it just needs a few tanks of fuel and run time. Very strong old engine, and that's a heavy boat.
The boat has done a lot of sitting in storage in a garage and also a barn. Although it looks immaculate, I agree, I should pull the plugs and put fresh filters in the fuel system.

I have run about 60-80 gallons of fresh gas through it so far.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After winter storage one year, I lost 600 rpm's and lots of top end. Replaced the plugs and they were mostly back.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
After winter storage one year, I lost 600 rpm's and lots of top end. Replaced the plugs and they were mostly back.
Good to know. I will head over this morning and check these things out. I may be able to get some fresh plugs in today. I am also gonna try a get a new water separator in.

Last edited by HardmanGT; 07-18-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think to much pitch prop for that boat and engine..drop down to a 22
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I think to much pitch prop for that boat and engine..drop down to a 22
I'm a noob when it comes to props, I admit. What I can tell you is that I contacted Rinker last Tuesday and they told me that this was the prop that they recommended and installed from the factory.

When I asked about the specs for the boat they said they were having trouble locating them. Outside of weighing 4800 pounds, I don't know
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Registered

I see you're in Waterbury, where do you run that boat?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

I found that the idler pulley is on it's way out and throwing off a fair amount of fine black plastic around the front of the engine. This also includes throwing it into the flame arrestor where it is being ingested into the throttle body and intake.

I have ordered a new idler pulley and cleaned out the flame arrestor, throttle body bore and blade. Could this stufff have gotten elsewhere and be causing a problem/restriction?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
I see you're in Waterbury, where do you run that boat?

CT River. I'm at the Hartford Yacht Club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.