Oil pressure dropped!!! >

Oil pressure dropped!!!

Notices

Oil pressure dropped!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure dropped!!!

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and in search of a fix.

I was out on my sea ray with a freshly built small block and everything was running fine while i was in the water, when all of a sudden the boat started slowing down on its own. The oil pressure started shooting down to about 7-8 psi and the engine started making weird noises and the temp started picking up also.

- The motor starts up fine and idles with 7-8 psi of oil pressure. It use to be at close to 30 40.
- I can rev the engine up and the oil pressure does shoot up
- When i do rev the motor up though the engine doesn't sound right and doesn't run smooth like it did.
- The motor sounds fine at idle

Could it possibly be a spun bearing?

I checked the oil through the dip stick and i couldn't see any flakes in it. I'm gonna go down to the boat and pull the filter to see if i have different results.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Raptrax
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered

It could be several things. Nevertheless, don't run your engine like that, you will destory it. Sounds like the rebuilt was not done correctly. I would be pissed. I would bring the boat back to the individual that rebuilt your motor. The engine may have to be pulled which means you could be out of a boat for the rest of the summer. I hope you didn't just buy this boat.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
It could be several things. Nevertheless, don't run your engine like that, you will destory it. Sounds like the rebuilt was not done correctly. I would be pissed. I would bring the boat back to the individual that rebuilt your motor. The engine may have to be pulled which means you could be out of a boat for the rest of the summer. I hope you didn't just buy this boat.
I am pretty pissed it was the second run out on the boat yesterday. I bought it a few months ago!!!

The machine shop did all the machining and a buddy that builds race boats and hasn't had one fail ever helped me build the motor. If anything it's the machine shop.

But not pointing fingers here. I still haven't pulled the oil filter to check for particles...

Suggestions are always welcome...

Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Maybe the oil pick-up fell off. It has happen to me before. The noise you may be hearing could be the lifters not having enough oil. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HighPriority
Maybe the oil pick-up fell off. It has happen to me before. The noise you may be hearing could be the lifters not having enough oil. Hope this helps.

Ditto, thats were I would look.......
Old 07-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

You might as well pull the engine and start tearing it down. No matter what, the problem is inside the engine and it will need to come apart.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BFU.....done, spun a bearing...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Yup looks like I spun a damn bearing... Thanks for the help!