95 502 mpi cold start problem >

95 502 mpi cold start problem

Notices

95 502 mpi cold start problem

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Question 95 502 mpi cold start problem

Hello all. For the past two times out now, i've been having some trouble getting it fired up for the first time of the day. I'll turn the key, let the fuel pump prime, then it will just crank. I recycle the key, basically letting the fuel system prime again, it will then crank about 6 times and fire off. Any other start of the day, it's fine.

Seems to me, for some reason the VST tank may be draining while sitting for a couple of weeks, but i'm not sure. Anyone else heard of this problem before, or have had this problem?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Bump
Old 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar issues with my 96 502 mpi's on cold start. I also think it's VST leak down related. I think the cranking is refilling the VST, and when its' finally refilled and pressurized, it fires. question is, where does the fuel go ?

happens to both my motors after sitting for a week.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered

I changed my vst return system last year to try and solve the vapor lock issue. Which it did. Right now the fuel rail return does not go to the vst tank, it goes to the main tank via fill hose. Just capped the return outlet on the vst. I don't know if this has something to do with the hard cold starts after sitting for two weeks or not. I'm going to fire oup the boat tonight with a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail and see what I get after the prime cycle. I don't know if somehow the vst tanks are draining or syphoning while sitting, or the gas is evaporating............ Not sure......
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know what you find out. i've just been dealing with it.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Well, just sitting 24hrs was not as good of a test obviously. However, I hooked up a fuel pressure guage to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. No pressure when hooked up. Turn the key and it went to 35ish psi. Engine fired up after about the 4th crank. Pretty much normal. I may wait till friday night and try it again to see if there is any change.