Notices

502 rebuild help

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 rebuild help

i have a 89" 502 600hp motor that trashed a couple rod bearings, and it ruined the crank. my first question is about the crank. its a scat 9-10454R, and i cant find that model number anywhere. just the 9-10454 and the 9-10454L. not one with the "R" on the end. what does that mean, the "R"? and what are my options? next question is the other motor got over heated, and melted the exhaust hoses that come off the bottom of the stainless steel headers, and the u shaped one on top, and the flanges where the exhaust pipes go through the hull, one of the flappers is bad, and the boots on the plug wires are bad.. this is a 88 cigarette boat, btw. where can i find those parts at? i think i found a place to buy the water pump kits. thats what caused the motor to over heat. i pulled it out and pulled the intake off, drained the oil, did a compression check. and so far, everything looks ok. these motors dont have thermostats, should they? or does it matter? this boat was bought used, so no previous info on what has been done to the motors. oh, and the motor with the bad crank, also messed up 1 piston and rod, from the bearing going to pieces and not in the rod anymore. is there a place you know of to get a rod and piston? its a j&e srp 75f piston, and a dimple rod. i know i have to replace the cooler and lines, where would i find a cooler? i think that about covers it, sorry its so long and so many questions. but i need some help from you guys. ive been lurking here for about a month now, and ya'll know your stuff. thanks for any help you give.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by venomous41
i have a 89" 502 600hp motor that trashed a couple rod bearings, and it ruined the crank. my first question is about the crank. its a scat 9-10454R, and i cant find that model number anywhere. just the 9-10454 and the 9-10454L. not one with the "R" on the end. what does that mean, the "R"? and what are my options? next question is the other motor got over heated, and melted the exhaust hoses that come off the bottom of the stainless steel headers, and the u shaped one on top, and the flanges where the exhaust pipes go through the hull, one of the flappers is bad, and the boots on the plug wires are bad.. this is a 88 cigarette boat, btw. where can i find those parts at? i think i found a place to buy the water pump kits. thats what caused the motor to over heat. i pulled it out and pulled the intake off, drained the oil, did a compression check. and so far, everything looks ok. these motors dont have thermostats, should they? or does it matter? this boat was bought used, so no previous info on what has been done to the motors. oh, and the motor with the bad crank, also messed up 1 piston and rod, from the bearing going to pieces and not in the rod anymore. is there a place you know of to get a rod and piston? its a j&e srp 75f piston, and a dimple rod. i know i have to replace the cooler and lines, where would i find a cooler? i think that about covers it, sorry its so long and so many questions. but i need some help from you guys. ive been lurking here for about a month now, and ya'll know your stuff. thanks for any help you give.
your best bet is to get both engines to a machine shop,when one goes the other is not far behind the other to explode also..

a good machine shop will know what you have left to work with..
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not a option. plus am a cert. auto tech. machine shop looked at the crank, its shot. im building these for a lawyer that owns it. i just wasnt sure about the crank numbers. i know im not a marine tech, but im sure i can read a manual and figure most of it out. this is the 2nd one ive rebuilt, the first one had the parts with it.