Driving Me Crazy Need Help !!

Notices

Driving Me Crazy Need Help !!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Me Crazy Need Help !!

Hello,
Need some tips here. I installed a gen 6 98 EFI motor in my friends boat. Everything is all hooked up and the motor runs great.

BUT, If you are facing the front of the motor the left side is getting warmer then the right side. If you feel the water coming out of the pipes at idle, the water coming out of the cool side is cold and the water coming out of warm side is warm + . Is this normal for EFI motors ? or it does not matter.

Should both sides me the same temp ?
The thermostate on efi motor did not have the same check valve set up in the thermostat as the old thermostate did , would that make a diffrence ?

Motor temp at 4000 rpm = 160-165
Running off of Hose.
Motor temp at idle 140

Why the diffrence in temp on one side to the other
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 454EFI in my boat, and I have never checked in the "water", but, I know on the hose at idle the water coming out of my exhaust is much warmer initially at start up. The "starboard" side seems to run warmer, but, after a few minutes they seem to even out. I think your water temps are where they should be, hopefully someone more experienced can chime in here

Michael
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default temp

We put a 5.7 efi motor in our boat and our starboard also runs warmer then the port side,But temp gauge reads normal.JOHN
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

this is normal when running on a garden hose,it cannot supply enough water[even at idle].you,d be amazed at how much water the sea pump will move threw the engine.do your test in the water,il bet both sides feel the same.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Thanks N20michael, Fenderjack and Miketkach for leting me know your take on it. I have never messed with these EFI motors before. From what you guys say it seems pretty normal .

What about that check valve set up in the thermostat I talked about. It is a ss bar with a spring and a plastic ball on both ends.
His old thermostat had it on his penut gen 5 454. This one did not so i cut it down to the proper lenth re tapped threads and installed in the thermostat on the new motor.

Thanks again guys I really apriciate the help. Just tring to get my friend and his kids out on his boat.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until you mentioned it, I didn't even realize I had a thermostat, LOL, so, I guess I wont be any help on that issue, but, hopefully some others chime in?

Michael