Replaced PS pump...now what? >

Replaced PS pump...now what?

Notices

Replaced PS pump...now what?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced PS pump...now what?

My power steering pump was trashed so I replaced it. I swapped-out the pressure valve from the old pump so I don't think that should be my problem. Flushed the system with new fluid and did serveral stop to stop turns and I know the system is full of fluid...but it is still fairly hard to turn. Definitely can't be done with 1 or 2 fingers.
So what should be my next move from here?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming the pump is working(you can hold your hand on the pressureline a feel pressure if you have someone turn the wheel to full lock) either the cable is frozen or the control valve at the transome is bad...does it turn real hard with the engine not running ? you can take the cable loose at the valve and see how it moves.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
assuming the pump is working(you can hold your hand on the pressureline a feel pressure if you have someone turn the wheel to full lock) either the cable is frozen or the control valve at the transome is bad...does it turn real hard with the engine not running ? you can take the cable loose at the valve and see how it moves.
ezstriper
All my checks were with the engine running at idle and about 2k rpm with the muffs on the outdrive. Before replacing the PS pump, the steering was kinda "herky jerky" and a lot harder to turn than now. Now the wheel moves smoothly and easier to turn, but it still takes more force than I think it should to turn the wheel. I'll check the cable and control valve at the transome the this weekend...I keep my fever at the lake.
Thanks !

Last edited by Thunderstruck27; 08-10-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered

I went through all this with my boat and it turned out to be a bad helm.

Disconnect the steering cable from the helm and see if the stiffness changes in the wheel.

tg.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by motoboy
I went through all this with my boat and it turned out to be a bad helm.

Disconnect the steering cable from the helm and see if the stiffness changes in the wheel.

tg.
motoboy...thanks...I'll try that too!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drain and flush the system a couple times. Make sure you are using Dexron II /III and nothing higher. Easiest way is to remove the return hose on the pump. Drain the pump. Use a temp plug on reservoir and refill tank with fresh Dexron II/III. Start the engine and run the return hose into a container. You should get about a half a quart. Shut engine off and pour the container back into pump and repeat. After a couple times reattach the return hose and refill with fresh Dexron. Make sure you turn the wheel to both extremes each time you are flushing and shut off engine quickly when the fluid stops coming out the return hose.