Timing moving on it own?

Notices

Timing moving on it own?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing moving on it own?

2002 575sci
Here is the deal i thought i had a bad ica motor so i replaced it, it still did the same thing (rpms jumping up in neutral). So i took it to the shop and ask for them to do a diag on it and they called me and said the timing was at 34 in base( should be 8) so we reset the timing to 8 and headed to the lake and it ran fine for about 10 min and then fell on its face. we rechecked the timing and it was back to 34. we had marked the dist to make sure it was not moving. we reset it again and took off again and it did it again back to 34. would spark control cause this? or should i be looking somewhere else? we are pretty sure its not a bad timing chain as that would retard it and we know the pin in the dist is not the issue. ECM? anyway to eliminate one or the other?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

FYI,
Just an update on what we found this weekend. After a lot of testing it just kept getting worse to the point were it would not start. we desided to pull the dist out and replace the spark pickup coil. ($13.00 part from the local parts house)after getting it back in it fired right up, we set the timimng and ran it for a while and seemed to run just fine. we are lake testing tonight i hope this is the end of it
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

had that happen on race cars, its called reluctor ring! check spelling
Old 08-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered

Also can be a worn distributor gear. However, that tends to make the timing more spuradic than a constant shift. Maybe some issues with the ignition module and heat?... Usually the initial sign before it completely dies on you. Never understood why most engine manufacturers insist on mounting electronics on hot motors...electrical stuff don't like heat!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Thanks
we pulled the dist and gear looks good and i agree with yo on the mounting of elc parts. You bring up a good point on could be heat related, i hope i dont find out the hard way....got oars!