engine mount bolts loose!!! >

engine mount bolts loose!!!

Notices

engine mount bolts loose!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default engine mount bolts loose!!!

I took the engine out of my 272 and as I was loosening up the motor mount bolts (big lag bolts) that go in the stringers theres two on each side, one side was completely loose, it has both lag bolts basically stripped in the stringers, they just dance in the hole and don't really tighten nothing, the previous owner looks like tried to use some ruber gasket material and poured it into the whole and then put the big lag bolts to the stringers but that didn't work at all! Is this common on a lot of bajas or stringer boats with these factory motor mounts that basically have two lag bolts, seems like the factory motor mounts are POS? how can I fix this? I was wondering if this has happened to other people and how you fix this so these go back in there nice and snug. I wish they would have put factory offshore mounts on these boats. Any help would greatly be appreciated, I have attached a picture of what my motor mounts look like its for a 454 motor, the two big lag bolts are hidden by that metal cover there on the bottom of the motor mount

Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sandwiching metal plates on stringers and thru bolt it. Lag bolts are not meant to secure motor mounts.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Registered

well appearantly baja must have forgotten about that when they were putting these pos engine mounts on these boats. Do you know where I can get offshore mounts like the ones your talking about?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have what tmdog was talking about on the boat when i bought it. Mine looked to be custom made from a machine shop
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be wet stringers also.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdog
Sandwiching metal plates on stringers and thru bolt it. Lag bolts are not meant to secure motor mounts.
What he said.......
Attached Thumbnails engine mount bolts loose!!!-mounts.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Could be wet stringers also.
Bingo .....
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can make them yourself. Get some 4" aluminum angle, 3/8 or 1/2" thick. Then get a plate of flat 3/8 or 1/2" to make plates for the back side.

You can then get a used or new, offshore mount, from hardin marine, or swap shop here. It bolts to the engine block, then gets bolted to the aluminum L brackets. Drop engine in, align, mark and drill your holes in the aluminum. Done.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja is not really known for good mounts. Seen it happen a few times. A bud had his bust out on his 302 coming out pt plesant inlet behind me once. Not pretty .
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

thanks for the replys! I will definitely get me some offshore mounts. I bought the boat like that, stringers look good, I'm just trying to prevent a huge disaster from happening in the future. I just can't believe Baja would make some POS like that, the rest of the boat is great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.