Notices

Enigne Alarms...HELP!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enigne Alarms...HELP!

Okay, I have a 2007 32'SS Sunsation with twin 6.2L V8's. I have one alarm that sounds two beeps per minute on the minute. I also have another that is a steady alarm when the boat is ran at 4,000 rpm or over. I think they are related. My initial problem was that the boat (starboard engine only) would sound an alarm just over 2000 rpm when trying to plane out and shut down to 1000 rpm. Since I disconnected that sensor...now I can get to plane but it still beeps every minute and constant beeps over 4000 rpm. Will the engine beep if I have a bad sensor? I hate idiot lights and codes...I am a mechanical guy but don't have access to a computer for the boat. My marina is so backlogged, it is gonna take 2 weeks to look at it. Anyone out there with any ideas on this one?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badaggressor
Okay, I have a 2007 32'SS Sunsation with twin 6.2L V8's. I have one alarm that sounds two beeps per minute on the minute. I also have another that is a steady alarm when the boat is ran at 4,000 rpm or over. I think they are related. My initial problem was that the boat (starboard engine only) would sound an alarm just over 2000 rpm when trying to plane out and shut down to 1000 rpm. Since I disconnected that sensor...now I can get to plane but it still beeps every minute and constant beeps over 4000 rpm. Will the engine beep if I have a bad sensor? I hate idiot lights and codes...I am a mechanical guy but don't have access to a computer for the boat. My marina is so backlogged, it is gonna take 2 weeks to look at it. Anyone out there with any ideas on this one?
Yes the are related,which sensor did you disconnect? IAC valves are very common for that motor and will through an alarm.How does it idle? When you lost RPM that means its going into gaurdian mode.
Are you sure its 4g not 3500 rpm that makes a huge difference.Is it running hot? The fact that you have twins makes it easier as you can switch sensors side to side and wait for the problem to follow.
I PM'd you my cell.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for your advice. I disconnected the water pressure sensor that is located on the power steering cooler on the back of the block. That seems to let me at least plane up, but I swore that 4000rpm was my max. I will have to get on the boat and double check that. But I am pretty sure 4000 was the max until the alarm was a steady beep. I do know that the alarm still sounds 2 beeps per minute...does that mean that my sensor is either faulty or disconnected? I hate idiot lights and live by mechanical guages! lol.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Sorry, I didn't answer your other question...It doesn't seem to run hot at all...but the idle is a little rough compared to the port side engine...that is interesting to hear that the IAC is a common failure. I am convinced that the water pressure sensor is it right now though. I will have to swap sides and go from there...I guess my real question now is...will the alarm sound 2 beeps per minute if the sensor is just bad, or sensing low pressure? I would think that if I had low pressure, I would have an overheating or at least hot temp prob...right? I didn't call your cell just yet...I don't want to bother anyone too much this soon...but I may take you up on it later! you rock...thanks for responding!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

Thanks for your advice. I disconnected the water pressure sensor that is located on the power steering cooler on the back of the block. That seems to let me at least plane up, but I swore that 4000rpm was my max. I will have to get on the boat and double check that. But I am pretty sure 4000 was the max until the alarm was a steady beep. I do know that the alarm still sounds 2 beeps per minute...does that mean that my sensor is either faulty or disconnected? I hate idiot lights and live by mechanical guages! lol.
The two beeps just means that the system has a fault and went into gaurdian at 4gs.Probably because the sensor is disconected.Being that it changed when you did that its highly likely that that sensor is bad.Switch them side to side and see if problem follows.I think its an 1 1/6 deep socket.Call me i will be up late.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=badaggressor;3182598]Sorry, I didn't answer your other question...It doesn't seem to run hot at all...but the idle is a little rough compared to the port side engine...that is interesting to hear that the IAC is a common failure.

Water pressure sensor would not change idle.They go all the time on 6.2s I carry one with me in my tool kit.So being that the idle is bad start with an IAC its an easy change right behind the Throttle body think its two allen screws might be torx though.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

I am definately going to order up both of them (or at least the IAC)...but I want to chase the problem from side to side first! This is about the only time I can say...thank god for Twin engines! lol. I was starting to hate them for gas consumption! Thanks...I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

I am definately going to order up both of them (or at least the IAC)...but I want to chase the problem from side to side first! This is about the only time I can say...thank god for Twin engines! lol. I was starting to hate them for gas consumption! Thanks...I'll keep you posted.
Just remember the IAC has a gasket make sure you have that first in case you tear it.