Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP with oil pan and oil level! >

HELP with oil pan and oil level!

Notices

HELP with oil pan and oil level!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with oil pan and oil level!

Just trying to finish some small stuff up now on my 502. This is the stock oilpan that was on my 502 but I didn't have a dip stick for it. So I installed a dipstick from KE Performance and it went it with no problems.
Now my issue is I think this is a 8qt pan and I poored 8qts down the liffter valley before installing the intake and the dipstick will not read anything. I put 1 more qt of oil which is a total of 9qts and the oil just started to show up on the very bottom of the dip stick. Could this be a 10qt pan?

Here is pics for you guys to better understand what I have going on....

This is the dipstick zip tied to the outside of the tube right where it would be if slide down the tube..

Now the dip stick is only about 3in from the bottom of the pan. I would figure with 9qts in there it should read something!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

8 qts and thats it!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Registered

I had a similar problem. I added the requisite amount of oil to the motor, waited a long time for it all to settle in the sump, then I put the dip stick down, when it didn't read anything, I started to shave off the dipstick sleeve from the top about 1 mm at a time, rechecking after every removal, to see where the level was. When I got the dipstick inside down far enough to read 'Full' I stopped and permanently sealed the tube in place. I haven't had any issues related to it since.
Plenty of other issues, but at least I could read oil level!
Not saying this is the right way, in fact, I wouldn't have a clue but it's what I did.
Anyone have any other thoughts??
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have 3 engines all with that pan..8qts, and I am having dipstick issues as well..
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for the reply!
I'll do just what Ghostrider did with shaving the tube down untill I get oil on the dipstick. Great idea and simple fix!
Good luck to everyone else with the same problem.
Erik