Baja 232 trim tabs >

Baja 232 trim tabs

Notices

Baja 232 trim tabs

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 232 trim tabs

Hi my Baja 232 with a 502mag 62gps knots. Start to shake, is There a big differense with trim tabs? How do you use Them in big speed how big tabs do i need?

Marius
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

By "starting to shake," I'm assuming you're referring to "chine walk." This is where the boat starts to rock back and forth from one side (chine) to the other. Uncorrected, it can get violent enough to pitch one out of the cockpit or even crash the baot.

Correcting chine walk can be done several ways. One way is to steer out of it. When the boat starts to rock to port, steer slightly to starboard. On a boat with good hydraulic steering, this can be very effective. (Works like a champ on mine for instance.)

Another way to attack chine walk is to use trim tabs. By dropping the tabs, you give the hull a set of "training wheels" to ride on at the stern. While this will reduce or even eliminate chine walk, it scrubs off speed too. The more you drop the tabs, the more speed you scrub off.

As for what size tabs you might need for a 23' Baja, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 12" x 12" and bigger gernerally won't hurt you - if mounted correctly. Of course I could spend all week getting into the proper way to mount a set of trim tabs...
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thnx