Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why can't I get top speed from my boat? >

Why can't I get top speed from my boat?

Notices

Why can't I get top speed from my boat?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I get top speed from my boat?

I bought a formula 223ss about a month ago and have been fixing it up. I was able to buy the boat and trailer for only 1300 bux so I wasnt expecting much but it turns out it runs like a champ. Its a 454 with a bravo 1 drive. Whan I first got the boat it had a lot of water in the oil from condensation so I did 4 oil changes and all looks ok now. After the oil changes the boat ran 51mph on gps .I had the quicksilver 21p prop redone because it lookd pretty beat up and a new gimbal bearing put in do to noise when turning. After the prop being redone I can only get 53mph on gps at about 4300 rpms and I was hoping for high 50's and 4700 rpms both runs were with one person and half a tank of fuel. This is my first boat with trim tabs and an outdrive so I am not sure I am setting up right for top speed.
I have beeen in flat water and trim tabs all the way up and I have inched the outdrive up but I have no gauge for the drive so I dont know how far to go up. I have read about the prop breaking loose or blowing out but I really dont know what that means. I see the rpms go up as I trim the outdrive up but I am not sure if it is just slipping, would it be obvious like a big sudden jump in rpms? I am not sure how tired the engine is its got 530 hours on it all in salt water so I am thinking that may be why I am not seeing the speed I should....

Any thoughts or help?
Thanks

Last edited by boboznutz; 09-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

What kind of shape is the bottom in? dirty or clean and smooth
Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered

Its a little dirty, Never thought of that.... I will start scrubbing tomorrow!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year ? which 454 ? if it's a std 330 and 500+ hrs ???
Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

its a 1988 330hp. I dont doubt that its a bit tired I guess I just want to be sure I am trimming the drive correctly
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone will probably chime in with the WOT rpm but I believe its 4800..? Perhaps your prop is the wrong size? Maybe going down a bit in pitch would pick you up some rpm and speed? I don't think 500hrs is that much on that motor, some people run them for a 1000hrs with no issues.