Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim and depth gauge help needed. >

Trim and depth gauge help needed.

Notices

Trim and depth gauge help needed.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim and depth gauge help needed.

Now that the high fuel pressue issue has been figured out and i can trust the engine not to flood out any more and leave me stranded I have a few other things wrong and I was wondering if anyone migh know what needs to be done to fix them.

Just a little information on this boat: its a 1997 baja hammer with a carbureted 454. I bought this boat a few months ago knowing it has a few problems and so far I have fixed the main problems especially since the flooding issue is resolved.

Sometimes i have to use both trim switches on the dash to get the trim to work instead of just the normal trim switch. The lettering on all my switches is worn off so im not sure how to explain. If I have been told correctly one switch is for normal trim adjustment and the other is for raising the outdrive higher for trailer loading. I have to hold both of those switches and or press them more than once to get them to work and the trim doesnt hardly ever work from the throttle switch. I dont raise it too high while im running as i watch the wake to make sure im not trimmed too high as i dont trust the trim level gauge to be reading correctly. I checked all electrical connections to the trim pump and they are all clean and tight. I sprayed the connections with corrosion protectant and double checked them for tightness. Sometimes Im not so sure the trim gauge is reading properly. I thought maybe the switches are bad and i was wondering what the best way to diagnose this system is. Where is the actual trim level sending unit for the trim gauge? Do I have bad switches or bad relays? Trim motor hanging up? I can hear the relays clicking when i try to adjust the trim and i can see the volt gauge move down until i let off the switches.

Sometimes the depth gauge doesnt read correctly. I will be in water that i know is deep and it will read .9 feet. Other times it will read what I assume the water depth to be. It doesnt seem to matter if you tap on the gauge or turn it on or off. I dont know how this thing works so my diagnosis has been limited to tapping the gauge and pushing buttons randomly hoping for it to display something different than .9

I am not familiar with these systems and im looking for more information on repairing these systems so if anyone has any information or advice for me please post it up.

If a new depth gauge is cheaper than spending a lot of time on repairing the one i have I would prefer to do that. I doubt that the trim system would be cheap to just replace the whole system but it would be nice to have trim control from the throttle mounted switch. I have a few other concerns with this boat but I think they would be best posted in the baja section.

thanks in advance for any advice.