View Full Version : sbc single blackhawk y2k

younger
09-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Was thinking how a y2k would run with a 415 sbc aprox 475hp with a blackhawk surface drive. Basic boat, no cabin interior, light as possible. Would this be worth while? Could this package run in the 70's? Would the boat respond well from the lite motor and surface drive to be a fast underdog.

FX10
09-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Was thinking how a y2k would run with a 415 sbc aprox 475hp with a blackhawk surface drive. Basic boat, no cabin interior, light as possible. Would this be worth while? Could this package run in the 70's? Would the boat respond well from the lite motor and surface drive to be a fast underdog.

Absolutely. I love SBC'S. A Big block 496 mag(375 HP) runs in the upper 60's and a 496 HO 415 HP runs around 72-74. That was with the old hull. the new one runs a few miles an hour faster.

AIR TIME
09-16-2010, 11:00 PM

blackhawk parts and props will be hard to get, plus that blackhawk ran so so, old friend raced one in Aclass back in 1994 ended up with a b1, you need efi for when you put it in gear the carb boats use to stall out. do a sbc and a b1 with a high x and a 5 blade or box better yet sbc with a 250 blower.

Airpacker
09-17-2010, 07:42 AM
blackhawk parts and props will be hard to get, plus that blackhawk ran so so, old friend raced one in Aclass back in 1994 ended up with a b1, you need efi for when you put it in gear the carb boats use to stall out. do a sbc and a b1 with a high x and a 5 blade or box better yet sbc with a 250 blower.

There are no parts for a BH drive that cant be bought. The only part besides the case thats different than a Bravo 3 is the vertical shaft and Max Machine Works makes those. As for the drive itself, when used on the right hull, it flat out works. I bolted one on my 25 Daytona and picked up 8 mph with no other changes. It also out lasted Bravo X drives by a 4 to 1 margin on upper gear sets on my boat.
I replaced the BH with an SCX/SC only because I added 400hp to the mix or it would still be on my boat.

If you're interested, I have a just freshened BH set up complete with everything you need to bolt it on including labbed 31 props.
Its collecting dust in my shop so if someone wants it, its for sale or it waits for the right 16 Donzi for the wife to come along.

dba900
09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Absolutely. I love SBC'S. A Big block 496 mag(375 HP) runs in the upper 60's and a 496 HO 415 HP runs around 72-74. That was with the old hull. the new one runs a few miles an hour faster.

Hmm, so with a lighter small-block and a surface drive you might even see 80 on a good day? Is that overly optimistic?

FX10
09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Hmm, so with a lighter small-block and a surface drive you might even see 80 on a good day? Is that overly optimistic?

should see upper 70's, possibly 80. We have a Y2K in stock with the new bottom. All it needs is power. Give Coen a call 631-226-1761

younger
09-17-2010, 08:42 PM
When you talk sweet 16 that is my thing that is what the 415 is in with the blackhawk drive. I built this package for my donzi 16 and run a set of hoss BH props. The only difference in the bh and the BIII is the vert. shaft and the bearing carrier. I have been thinking of a longer rough water boat and the y2k is the one that seems light for its size. And another requirement is its narrow beam. Which I would think would blend well with a 500 hp sbc. What is the advantages of the new bottom compared to the old as far as mph? What is the weight of the y2k hull less power. The donzi 16 that this package powers screams 84.4 mph and some to go. Have yet to see a sustained full throttle blast. I figure the way it powers the 16 it may run the y2k into 75mph range. Does the y2k bottom run free and light?

z.zuperboat
09-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Weight is key in these boats. Just look at my boat, Its as lite as they come. Then getting the power to the water with a blackhawk would work well. Remember its a boat and boats need torque more than HP. And your not going to get big torque out of a small block unless its one stroked to like a 454. What the biggest sbc they make these days ?

OCCJoe
09-18-2010, 09:53 AM
We have a Y2K in stock with the new bottom. All it needs is power. Give Coen a call 631-226-1761

Really !!! Let's see a picture of this Y2K in stock ....

Superbabi
09-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you selling already ? lol lol:grinser010:

younger
09-18-2010, 07:57 PM
The intresting thing is that this sb produces some good torque numbers 540 ftlb. This is not the 400 out of pops station wagon. World block 4.125 bore, Mahle forged slugs on 6" H-beam rods, swinging on a Callies 3.875" stroke crank, internally balanced. Full Crane roller valve train, with Edellbrock rpm heads rpm air gap intake, topped with BG 850 dp. Exhaust is Stainless Marine manifolds with dry rises out the back. The way it runs makes alot of bb's envious. This is the combo that I have and need to know how well it would work in a y2k. If it could run 75 plus and the boat work as well as people have stated. It would make it to my list of things to do.

FX10
09-19-2010, 10:20 AM

It's all white . You can have black or white wind screens. a white engine hatch or a hatch like H2O scene's. It's under covers right now.

FX10
09-19-2010, 10:25 AM
The intresting thing is that this sb produces some good torque numbers 540 ftlb. This is not the 400 out of pops station wagon. World block 4.125 bore, Mahle forged slugs on 6" H-beam rods, swinging on a Callies 3.875" stroke crank, internally balanced. Full Crane roller valve train, with Edellbrock rpm heads rpm air gap intake, topped with BG 850 dp. Exhaust is Stainless Marine manifolds with dry rises out the back. The way it runs makes alot of bb's envious. This is the combo that I have and need to know how well it would work in a y2k. If it could run 75 plus and the boat work as well as people have stated. It would make it to my list of things to do.

Have you given Coen a call @ Superboat. If not 631-226-1761. Don't be discouraged by him. He's know as Mr. You don't want to do thaaaaat.

Superbabi
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM

I would love to see some one dial in a Surface Drive on a Y2K. If not the BlackHawk what type ???:grinser010:

Pure Energy
09-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I would love to see some one dial in a Surface Drive on a Y2K. If not the BlackHawk what type ???:grinser010:

I would love to see you bolt on an Imco SCX and run that motor of yours the way it is supposed to be run!!!:drink:

AIR TIME
09-19-2010, 12:48 PM
There are no parts for a BH drive that cant be bought. The only part besides the case thats different than a Bravo 3 is the vertical shaft and Max Machine Works makes those. As for the drive itself, when used on the right hull, it flat out works. I bolted one on my 25 Daytona and picked up 8 mph with no other changes. It also out lasted Bravo X drives by a 4 to 1 margin on upper gear sets on my boat.
I replaced the BH with an SCX/SC only because I added 400hp to the mix or it would still be on my boat.

If you're interested, I have a just freshened BH set up complete with everything you need to bolt it on including labbed 31 props.
Its collecting dust in my shop so if someone wants it, its for sale or it waits for the right 16 Donzi for the wife to come along.

what about props? bob got rid of his cause on the vees it seem to work on the 22 donzi cause of the rounded keel, heard they did good on sm cats, but heard efi was needed cause when you shifted it in gear it would drop the rpms to low on carb motors. to me if it was so good merc would of kept it around. a xr with a shortie or a arneson #6 would be a nice piece plus you could set it up with a 6 propshaft or bravo shaft now. we now the y2k works well with b1 drive and props are easy to get, your right about the b3 drive I forgot about that. the turbine boat seems to be having handling troubles with that funky drive they went with thats why I caution a drive like the bh. my b1 drive had up to 650hp running through it from 95 to 05 and it was a gen 1 the weakest b1 made never had a problem with it only changed it cause a 2'' shortie didn't fit so I bought a 01 upper and a cracked lower 03 swapped the guts it ran nice picked up 8mph maybe more but I ran out of prop at 6000rpm also changed the carb but I bet it was worth another 2 or 3 mph. well good luck with the sm block

AIR TIME
09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I would love to see you bolt on an Imco SCX and run that motor of yours the way it is supposed to be run!!!:drink:

or a konrad like the black y2k:coolcowboy:, hope to be in 2 weeks after the new gas tank goes in to see how the konrad ace holds up to 1114hp:party-smiley-004: I am going in this yr if its snowing out in nov, but hope to have tank in my hands in a week and a half then two weeks to put it all back together I hope.

AIR TIME
09-19-2010, 12:57 PM
what hp will the sm block make at what rpm same with tq ?

Pure Energy
09-19-2010, 01:07 PM
or a konrad like the black y2k:coolcowboy:,.

I have "heard" that the Konrad hits a "wall" at around 85 mph. I have no personal experience with this, so I would like to know if it is true or not.

Superbabi
09-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Thats the way I save on gas, never more than 2500-3000 RPM'S !!! LOL LOL :grinser010:

Pure Energy
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Thats the way I save on gas, never more than 2500-3000 RPM'S !!! LOL LOL :grinser010:

:bsflag:

younger
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
The motor produces 475 hp@ 5600 and 540ftlb@ 3800. How light could a y2k be built and still be strong with no flex?

FX10
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Have you given Coen a call @ Superboat. If not 631-226-1761. Don't be discouraged by him. He's known as Mr. You don't want to do thaaaaat.

As said above

younger
09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Are you saying that the motor is not making those numbers?

Stormrider
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
NO... FX is telling you to call JC and get some info from him.

FX10
09-23-2010, 04:46 AM
;) Thanks Storm

z.zuperboat
09-25-2010, 06:47 AM
The liter it is the more it cost. Mine was if I remember correctly between 4400 and 4500 with a bigblock bravo extention box and a full tank on gas. Its been along time since It hit the scale. I wonder what the weight is now with the speedmaster ?

AIR TIME
10-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I have "heard" that the Konrad hits a "wall" at around 85 mph. I have no personal experience with this, so I would like to know if it is true or not.

I thought the konrad 800hp MDG boat ran 94 to 96? I have a old pm asking what they hit. he did say he wished he weh\nt a 1'' higher on set up cause he pick up speed when they took the spacer out. well soon I will be out but I got a lil more motor big pulley 1000 and 1100 plus with med pulley then theres the sm one put would need to adjust motor and run race gas. I hope the drive is under rated and won't mined the 1100 as long as I take it easy getting on plane and don't miss the re entry bad:eek:. hell my stock b1 ran 15 yrs with 600 and over hp just changed the oil took it easy on plane but once there I got on it and got tons of air. so hope for the same. and the ace has the bam 1300 tranny:coolcowboy: also the standard case 540 konrad might stop at 85, sm case is whats on my ace package.

OCCJoe
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I own the MGD boat now and there's no wall , I read that and just kept my mouth shut . I have always had 2-3 passengers in the boat and plenty of fuel haven't really worried about a top speed run but I do have a video of me doing 92 with my wife and son in the boat and you can clearly read GPS speedo and garmin .
When my Pantera is back in the water I'll risket to get that buscuit ! But for now I'm just concentrating on finishing out the season with no break downs !!!
How bad a$$ would a video of my Pantera and Y2k doing side by side 95mph shot from a beach in October be ????

FX10
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I own the MGD boat now and there's no wall , I read that and just kept my mouth shut . I have always had 2-3 passengers in the boat and plenty of fuel haven't really worried about a top speed run but I do have a video of me doing 92 with my wife and son in the boat and you can clearly read GPS speedo and garmin .
When my Pantera is back in the water I'll risket to get that buscuit ! But for now I'm just concentrating on finishing out the season with no break downs !!!
How bad a$$ would a video of my Pantera and Y2k doing side by side 95mph shot from a beach in October be ????

Lets see any video's you have Joe. Can't wait!!

Pure Energy
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Good to know!!! I am thinking that some of my info came from someone who is not reliable!:bong: