496 life expectancy in hours

Notices
Formula

496 life expectancy in hours

Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 life expectancy in hours

Looking at a few 400ss... years ranging from 2001-2005. Seems like hours range from 300s to 500s, and some generators have hours near 800 hours.

Curious what I should be able to expect the engines to run until they need a rebuild.

Also, what does a total overhaul/rebuild cost on a 496 and then on the generator?

Are the drives typically longer lasting, or is this something I need to consider too?

THANKS!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered

As far as the generator to more you run it under load the better. 5000 hours plus is not unusual for a generator. As far as the engine my old 454's had over 2000 hours in salt water with FWC when I sold the boat. Never flushed and changed the manifolds twice @ 700 hours and again about 1500 They never used a drop of oil between 40 hours changes. I never ran the boat over 3200 RPM's The boat was a 89 390 Express that I bought in 96 and sold in 2003. I put over 100 hours a year on it and that included two trips to Florida from Md. Glad I did not pay the gas bill!

My Formula now with 496's get run 95% of the time @ 3000-3200 RPM's so I expect 1000 plus hours. I use Royal Purple Oil 15w40 Synthetic again 40 Hours changes with an extra large filter
Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Cool. That is good to hear. Anyone else?

As far as boats go... I would be interested in anyones opinion.

Assuming same hours on engines and motors, would you go with a 2001 400ss (no bow thruster) or a 2005 with the bow thruster?

Granted, we are talking about anywhere from 40k-100k difference in price... you have the few upgrades over the years, better interior, flat screen tvs, etc, etc... but this is just going to be a day/party boat for me. I just have always been a bit of a 'newer is better' type person, but wondering if there really is ANY point in going with the 05 or newer? I mean, I would love to have the bow thruster, but if that is really the only difference, it is hard to justify the price difference, even on the low end.

TIA
Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mroberts
Cool. That is good to hear. Anyone else?

As far as boats go... I would be interested in anyones opinion.

Assuming same hours on engines and motors, would you go with a 2001 400ss (no bow thruster) or a 2005 with the bow thruster?

Granted, we are talking about anywhere from 40k-100k difference in price... you have the few upgrades over the years, better interior, flat screen tvs, etc, etc... but this is just going to be a day/party boat for me. I just have always been a bit of a 'newer is better' type person, but wondering if there really is ANY point in going with the 05 or newer? I mean, I would love to have the bow thruster, but if that is really the only difference, it is hard to justify the price difference, even on the low end.

TIA

The newer model has a lot of nicer touches and changes. The bow thruster is real nice in the wind. I could not get my boat out of the slip without one. I have a wall 6 feet from my Starbard side and another boat 40 feet from my stern. I am 36 feet so figure. When I make my turn or port while backing out I have less than a foot to the wall the thruster really helps. Look them both over and look for tell tale signs of abuse or wear. My boat looks better now than when I go it new. It had a few nicks from being in the showroom. I do my best to keep it right and don't run it hard at all. How much is the price difference?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

I think the 01 can be had for close to 100k... if not, I'm not interested.

The 05 can probably be had for 170k (ish)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 650 hours on a pair of 496 Mags they ran great and didn't use any oil.