Notices

Can't stab a timed dizzy

Old 10-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't stab a timed dizzy

I got a dead engine. I used a mirror and a light to get a look at the timing mark on the balancer, and the timing pointer. I rigged a remote starter switch to the slave solenoid, so I'm able to bump the crank in really small increments. I put the balancer mark in the middle of the saw teeth looking pointer after rolling the engine over till it starts to blow my finger off the plug hole. I pop the dizzy cap, and it's pointing right at #1. When I pump the throttle lever with the shift linkage disengaged, the accelerator pump squirts fuel. When I hit the key with the muffs on, it fires, but it just won't start. It rumped once, like it was thinkin' about it, and it sounded like it just wanted a little more fuel. I pumped the throttle lever, hit the key, no joy. I'm absolutely sure I have the dizzy and the cam in the right relationship, and I haven't messed with the carb. What else is there? It ran like a top when it showed up here, so it's gotta be something I've done. I know how it's supposed to be done, I just need ideas about how I could have serially screwed it up.

Last edited by MahtyMaht; 10-04-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

It sounds like you have the distributor in right. I'd try cranking with the throttle wide open to rule out a flooded condition.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Hey, BlueT - Turned out that having got the dustyribster in, I wasn't advancing it enough. It was still too close to 0 degrees. I was putting it back where it was, and it didn't like that. I wound that sucker counterclockwise about 15 degrees, and RrrRUMP!! I'm as happy as a silly schoolgirl with a new Easter dress. WWwwhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 910 Posts

You better make sure the timing is set correctly. If not you'll get detonation and holes in your pistons.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MahtyMaht
Hey, BlueT - Turned out that having got the dustyribster in, I wasn't advancing it enough. It was still too close to 0 degrees. I was putting it back where it was, and it didn't like that. I wound that sucker counterclockwise about 15 degrees, and RrrRUMP!! I'm as happy as a silly schoolgirl with a new Easter dress. WWwwhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
That is a good feeling when you win a hard fought battle and she comes to life
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

I gotta tell ya, Griff, I been thinkin about that. I don't know how a real wrench man would time it with a light, since it has a bulkhead 2" in front of the pulleys. I'm thinkin' about tryin' to do it on the water with a vacuum gauge. Think I'm nuts?
And BlueT, it's right indeed you are.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 910 Posts

You need to figure out a way to set it with the light.
Get some white out or white paint and mark the timing line on the balancer and the 0* timing mark to make it easier to see.
Then use the timing light when it is somewhat dark and tape up a mirror to the bulkhead if needed.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Registered

Guess maybe I'll start doin' some timing light shoppin'.