Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thoughts on Tunnel Ram?? Input? >

Thoughts on Tunnel Ram?? Input?

Notices

Thoughts on Tunnel Ram?? Input?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on Tunnel Ram?? Input?

G'day All,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Tunnel Rams?
I have a Gen VI 468 BBC running 10:1 comp and I currently employ an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap and a Holley HP 850 DP.
I'm using Vortec 7400 heads (lge oval) at the moment but I have a set of rect port, big valve 049 heads I'm setting up now too.

I'm debating an intake change and have been considering a Tunnel Ram like an Edelbrock T2X or similar to run a twin carb setup. I have the room, thanks to a monsterous hatch scoop so I'm thinking, 'Why Not?'

I know tuning and setup can be a cow and low speed performance might suffer but is it worth any possible gains in the upper end? I'm more about all out speed and performance than driveability at low speed.

I have a Crane 741 cam I plan to use so Im wondering if a Tunnel Ram might give me a good set-up over a Victor jnr single or a Dart single intake with the same carb? Why don't more people run them on offshore boats? You see the all the time on lake boats.

Any thoughts / advice would be great, thanks!!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would have to run a large plenum one and I still don't think you would see any gains in the RPM range we run in...need to be over 6k to see any gain over a good single 4bbl intake....played with them on jet boats in the past...looked very cool...not much faster..
Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ezstriper is right, If all out racing a well-designed tunnel-rams work. They make big torque and horsepower everywhere and carry the torque a great distance. Large amounts of torque and horsepower well past 7,000 rpm, while the single-plane dropped off rather rapidly past its peak of 7,000 rpm and the tunnel-ram comes with a price. The initial outlay will be significantly greater as the intakes typically cost more, two carburetors must be used, and the necessary linkage must be obtained. Then there's the tuning effort needed to make the system work properly. Do not expect to bolt on a tunnel-ram, set the idle, and go. Looks cool then you will go back to the single plane because of our RPM range and the tunnel-ram back on the shelf looking cool collecting dust.