Notices

help SEAWATER PUMP??

Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help SEAWATER PUMP??

BOAT IS A 1999 Baja 252 boss, 454mag.

Ok so take the boat to the coast and got some sand sucked up because of my bravo one outdrive is a performance version with a low water pick up. boat over heated, I caught it, and limped it to the trailer. I replaced the impeller, and the thermostat. Started working a little better, but would still slowly overheat. Got into some more sand, I KNOW but **** happens.

So I check things and the water lines were full of sand, so took everything apart, and back flushed it all, got everything cleaned out. checked pump everything is working.

Took it out that night worked great, then Sunday put about 60 miles on it in the ocean, Fort Walton to Sand Destin and back, then on the trailer.

Came home with the boat, and tried to flush it with fresh water and it over heats. So I check everything and it’s not sucking the water up, so I take all the hoses off again, and check and everything is clear. Then hook up the seawater pump to the out drive and started the motor, with the output hose on the back of the pump disconnected. no water coming out......pump spins with the shaft when you turn the pulley, blades look fine (only 2 days old), but yet not working when it did 2 days ago.

IDEAS?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

if its a plastic pump housing it may be broke inside.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Registered

its a plastic houseing, why would it work one day and not the next?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

check for restrictions between pump and lower raw pickup, especially in hose between pump and transom ..... Also pump impeller (if plastic pump with rubber impeller) could be fried again from running dry .... Thats all there is, if nothing's coming out of the pump ..... Good Luck ... Keep us posted .....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

check for restrictions between pump and lower raw pickup, especially in hose between pump and transom ..... Also pump impeller (if plastic pump with rubber impeller) could be fried again from running dry .... Thats all there is, if nothing's coming out of the pump ..... Good Luck ... Keep us posted .....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

yep pulled all the hoses and from the pump to the water pick up is clear, can runa hose of water through it solid.

pump empellar is 2 days old and worked geat, not does nothing.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a set of muffs that would not work no matter what I did. I used them for a couple yrs no problem, then one day nothing.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet the plastic housing is pretty wore if it had sand in it. If they don't seal off they won't pump.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Registered

If the plastic housing has a crack in it and is sucking air it won't pump either. Just something to check
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have flushed and checked all the lines to the pump and disconnected the hose coming out of the pump with no luck then about all you can do at this point is take it back apart for a through inspection. Check for deep grooves worn in the plastic pump body. If it does have grooves it will wear the new impeller to the grooves. They actually sell impeller kits with the pump body and wear plate beings they wear out so fast.http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=77502F

You didn't by chance have both hoses off the pump at one point and accidently put them back on wrong did ya? Sounds like you know what your doing. Keep at it , you'll get it.

Last edited by picklenjim; 10-28-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.