Notices

winterizing

Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool winterizing

rookie when it comes to closed cooling system.

recently purchased 2007 fountain w/ twin 525 HP staggared.

need to flush cooling/exhaust sytem and then winterize.

any suggestions?

the only hose connection for flushing seems to be for filling the water holding tank only?

in the past attached mouse ears to drive unit and then sucked antifreeze through, but it appears that there is a water inlet from the bottom of the boat as well???

appreciate any help. thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by stevehaning
rookie when it comes to closed cooling system.

recently purchased 2007 fountain w/ twin 525 HP staggared.

need to flush cooling/exhaust sytem and then winterize.

any suggestions?

the only hose connection for flushing seems to be for filling the water holding tank only?

in the past attached mouse ears to drive unit and then sucked antifreeze through, but it appears that there is a water inlet from the bottom of the boat as well???

appreciate any help. thanks
usually the flushing t would be in the engine bay,,if its closed cooling the only thing you will need to worrie about is the heat exchanger tank,,their should be a drain on the bottom of it and the headers which you can pull the hoses off and let the water drain..i would still run a non toxic antifreeze theough each engine tho..dont use the pink stuff use either sierra or lowtox..
you will need to drain the water holding tank and grey water tank and run the pink antifreeze through it then blow the lines out with compressed air..
Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Default winterizing

it's great to have someone that can help. appreciate your reply.

ps why do you not recommend the pink stuff
Old 11-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
usually the flushing t would be in the engine bay,,if its closed cooling the only thing you will need to worrie about is the heat exchanger tank,,their should be a drain on the bottom of it and the headers which you can pull the hoses off and let the water drain..i would still run a non toxic antifreeze theough each engine tho..dont use the pink stuff use either sierra or lowtox..
you will need to drain the water holding tank and grey water tank and run the pink antifreeze through it then blow the lines out with compressed air..
curious, why not the pink stuff and thanks for your help
Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Registered

Default fixx

it slushes up *18 and freezes solid @*0. i have takin engines apart that were cracked from using pink antifreeze and it also seems to plug the holes in the head gaskets with the jelly looking slime..
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
it slushes up *18 and freezes solid @*0. i have takin engines apart that were cracked from using pink antifreeze and it also seems to plug the holes in the head gaskets with the jelly looking slime..
Ditto + any leftover water will dilute it even further.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

it will freeze but will not burst until it hits -50
Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

The pink will freeze solid at 0, but will not expand at that temp. This assumes it is not dilluted with any residual water. I've used pink for years in temps as low as -20 with no issues.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The pink will freeze solid at 0, but will not expand at that temp. This assumes it is not dilluted with any residual water. I've used pink for years in temps as low as -20 with no issues.
X2
A million RV'ers use it too.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Pair of 525's myself,

Drain the headders first, majority of the water in the system is in here, hook up the muffs and run 4-5 gallons of anti-freeze thru while at idle, you're done, simple as that. Dual water pick-ups on the drives, just tape off the ones in the nose of the drive before you start.

The extra thru hull pickup you mention likely is the ventilation deal Fountain runs into the notch to aid in getting on plane, has nothing to do with the winterizing deal. Just an air channel to the notch/props, holds no water when the boat is on the trailer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.