Notices
Formula

382 Head liner removal Help needed

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 Head liner removal Help needed

I have a 1997 382 Fastech with a falling head liner
I have seen other threads on head liner repalcement on 382's. Those have gotten me 1/2 the way. On the center section I have the lights out, screws removed and the forward section down. Here is where the the trouble begins. It is pinched between the head and fridge cabinets. I can move it a little, but it is wider than the ouside sections and will not slide forward.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Jeff
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to apply (a lot) of lifting pressure to the deck, as the center section is trapped on top of the head and refrigerator compartment walls. Formula recommends using wood blocks and bottle jacks from the cabin floor, or inserting a wood beam across the rear hatch openings and lifting with a hoist.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ripped out the cieling in my 1997 419. There was lots of foam between the fiberglass deck and the 1/4" wood cieling panels at the head and fridge cabinets which kept the cieling pressed to the cabinets. Mine pulled out without applying upward pressure to the deck. You might have someone push up on the panel slightly to compress the foam as you pull laterally on the panel. I just pulled slightly to the left and right and eased the panel out. The issue will be putting the recovered panel back in place without ripping the new ultra leather. Good luck. As I get mine back in I'll try and update the thread. Now I'm trying to find the ultraleather at an affordable price. So far, the best I can do is $48.00 a yard on e-bay. Any thoughts would be helpfull.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. 38 there is no foam that I can see. Please let me know of the best deal on material. havent started looking yet. C Spray I started pushing with bottle jack on the back edge of the cabin door deck, but stopped when I heard cracking. It made the panel looser but only could pull it back till it hit the outer head liner. I will get some more blocking to push up on the outer headliners. I get nervous when I hear cracking

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff: Try pulling the outer head liners out first. I think that is how I got mine out. The rear center piece was the last piece I removed. Make sure all the outer panel screws are removed. A lot of mine had loosened and fallen out anyway. You might also want to contact formula and find the best place to put the bottle jack. I agree, I would have quit jacking if I heard cracking also.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with Scott Smith at Formula. He can tell you where to apply the pressure.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Sucsess, I used 2 bottle jacks to lift the outer headliners about 1" right next to the head and wet bar cabinets at there edge next to the center head liner. Next comes the outer head liners. I have a picture but dont know how to attach.
Thanks for all of your help.
Jeff