Notices

Interior redesign project

Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior redesign project

I have an old project that I've been redesigning to suit my taste. Hopefully this winter I can get some new foam/vinyl. What I'm looking for here is structural tips and features that can be easily implemented now.

Keep in mind, I'm not doing this to increase resale value. I actually enjoy the process of rebuilding a boat.

One of the first mods I made was combining the hatch with the back rest. I hated more than anything not having easy access to the bilge. Now I will be able to clean the sea strainers without having to stand on my head. I was a little worried about structural integrity but when I put in the supports to the floor and side it's just as strong.
Attached Thumbnails Interior redesign project-cutting-engine-room-opening-better-access.jpg   Interior redesign project-clamshellhatchclosed.jpg   Interior redesign project-hatch-open.jpg  

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

What I would like to do with this is have the sunpad/backrest combined like these boats. The two with molded seats might be a little too much to ask from a local marine upholsterer. The one with all the speakers looks a little too busy for me, but you get the idea.

I'm wondering if I can have the foam/vinyl made directly to the hatch? I really don't want to use wood behind the foam if I can avoid it.

One thing I'm worried about with this is the way the hatch is hinged. It will pinch the pad when the hatch is opened.
Attached Thumbnails Interior redesign project-51263_l.jpg   Interior redesign project-back-seat-i-like.jpg   Interior redesign project-interior-1.jpg  

Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

For the seat base I want to have a Plexiglas speaker box made. The ppt showing how I would like it built. Down firing. I want the box to soft glow red at night.
Attached Thumbnails Interior redesign project-speaker-seat-idea.jpg   Interior redesign project-seat-base-idea.jpg  

Last edited by jackhammer; 11-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered

The sides should be fairly straight forward. I put in recovered fountain seats, and I like the fountain side step. Making this step strong enough might be a bit of a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails Interior redesign project-inside-side-view-not-finished.jpg   Interior redesign project-fountain-side-view.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of boat is it?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered

old 34' scarab iii (I know, I know)

I suppose I should mock it up in cardboard 1st or something like that.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhammer
One thing I'm worried about with this is the way the hatch is hinged. It will pinch the pad when the hatch is opened.
Car hood style hinges, would make it swing up nd slightly away removing the pinch.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

I thought about those Dana Power Hinges since I need an actuator anyway... if I found a used pair I'd do it. I was just looking at the long reach hinges from dana and still think this boat isn't worthy. Now some heavy duty truck hood hinges... maybe you're on to something?

Last edited by jackhammer; 11-13-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhammer
I thought about those Dana Power Hinges since I need an actuator anyway... if I found a used pair I'd do it. I was just looking at the long reach hinges from dana and still think this boat isn't worthy. No some heavy duty truck hood hinges... maybe you're on to something?
The Danas probably would not lift that heavy of hatch once the backrest is attached.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered

Hey Griff, you're right, it's already heavy imo. Do you think I should go hydraulic ram over actuator?

What I decided to try (since this is boating on a budget) is making the hinges I need from these plans on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-Al...-/310269018822 The guy said someone has used the plans for a boat hatch, worth a look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.