fuel lines-what to use?? legal? >

fuel lines-what to use?? legal?

Notices

fuel lines-what to use?? legal?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fuel lines-what to use?? legal?

i know there have got to be threads on this already but i just spent a hour searching with no luck. for those who dont know my motor already, i have a mildly built 454 carbed around 450hp. i want to upgrade my fuel system since i skimped on it a little this year to get on the water. i want to use -6 braided lines from the tank to the carb inlet. question 1 is a -6 line enough, i have plans to get as much as 650hp a few years down the road... i would like to set it up for future upgrades so should i go to a -8. my buddy told me to run push loc hose and fittings, i asked is that marine legal and he said he thought so but i am not sure? then i started wondering if standard braided lines are marine legal? the way the law is written i am not sure. anyone have any input on this? in my mind the braided lines would protect anything such as a belt from rubbing a hole through the line so it should be safe.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not read the Coast Guards rules on fuel lines, but I am certain that SS braided lines are not within the rules. The CG is requiring a fire safety time which SS braid does not have. I am not 100% on that, but sure some other will chime in.

I am running around 750hp and I ran 5/8" SS hard lines to #10 AN fittings. If you have plans on an up grade, I'd go with the 8AN stuff. If you want to be dead nuts...I am sure there is a calculator somewhere on the net which takes the btu rating of gas along with the eff. of the engine and gives you a volumetric value of supply fuel. But that is getting too much like my job.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL here is something of interest.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/TS_FuelSys.pdf
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

damn, according to that a -8 hose is not enough for 600hp. says a -10 which if i recal right is common for oil lines.... does that seem like overkill or is it just me? so are the ss hoses not a good way to go? what is everyone else running? from most pictures i have seen of modified motors everything tends to be ss hoses...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

#8 AN hose is fine for 600hp. Actually #8 is closer to 7/16 ID. It is not a full 1/2inch ID. SS braided line is not USCG approved, but in reality it is better than the USCG approved rubber line. Its like having Lifeline PFD's. They are not USCG approved, but the $5 orange junk ones are.

BTW, there is or at least there used to be, an Aeroquip and hose making company just south of 108th and Q St.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

thanks griff, thats is the answer i was hoping for. i am going to go -8 just to be safe in the future. thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If being legal and safe are concerns of yours, here is a good reference when messing with your fuel system.

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...uel_intro.aspx

Here is the chapter on hoses -

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...rds_parti.aspx
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's just a deal of certification....and we know the braided stuff is going to be far more fire retardent than the rubber hose that is...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

For your piece of mind the Aviation Industry relies on braided stainless line. If it is good enough for airplanes it is more than enough for my boat. At least if my boat catches on fire I can just jump over the side into water, try that in an airplane.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Use at least -8. I have been inspected by the Coast Gaurd often and the braided lines were not an issue. Flares, jackets and fire exting are high on their list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.