Notices
Formula

Just bought a 292 Fastech 03

Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just bought a 292 Fastech 03

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 03 292, w 6.2 sb, moving up from a Donzi 26zx 454mag, Any ideas on the handling differnce, this is my first twin motor boat how much different is it. I was very comfortable in the Donzi even at WOT. Will there be a new big learing curve. Looking forward to summer! thanks

MD
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! I've got 230 hours behind the wheel of my '06 292. It has the 6.2's and the props are labbed 28 pitch bravos. Really love the boat.

The twin engines put a fair amount of weight back there. It really doesn't like to be running slower than 35 mph or she will start and fall off plane. The combination of the twin stepped hull and labbed props contribute to this.

Most of the time you should run with the outdrives in the neutral position (propshafts level with the hull). When it is on the trailer trim to this position and make a note of where your drive indicator is at. This is where you want to run the majority of the time. In rough water or running really slow, a little negative trim is good. Do not run negative trim during turns. It creates stern lift which is something you do not want with a twin stepped hull. Turn hard enough and she can spin-out. I have NEVER had any indication of this happening, but I am conservative in my turns. I just read about this being a possibility.

It is a heavy 24° deep V, so it handles the rough pretty well. I did add 280S K-Planes and it made a big difference when things get really rough. Do a search and you will find a thread on the subject. With a little negative trim and tab and running around 35-40 mph she just plows right through most stuff. Very nice.

Wide open running is somewhat non-eventful. Neutral trim, tabs up, and she will run right at 70 mph. The deep V will sometimes want to chine walk in sloppy water, but nothing serious. I am running hydraulic steering which helps.

You will love the twin engines when docking in tight spots. Put one in forward and one in reverse for tight turning when needed.

Congrats again on you purchase. I think you are going to see a big difference compared to your Donzi. Hopefully your boating spots give you some rough water to play in with your new toy.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats I love my 292 Hope you enjoy yours. The 292 does not like to go slow

Last edited by oh6662b; 12-17-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I moved into my 2--8 292 from a 1993 271. You will love this boat. The only thing I have been disappointed in is the hole shot but once you get used to it no issues. These boats are big enough tpo handle rough water and still small enough to be fun to drive.
Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattd7
Hey Guys,

Just bought a 03 292, w 6.2 sb, moving up from a Donzi 26zx 454mag, Any ideas on the handling differnce, this is my first twin motor boat how much different is it. I was very comfortable in the Donzi even at WOT. Will there be a new big learing curve. Looking forward to summer! thanks

MD

did you buy the one on Long Island?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the feed back iam really looking foward to the summer I signed the paper work today!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Congrats, you're going to love it, especially the twins, they are a really fine built boat, I've had three of them with a 353 and enjoyed them all.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

mattd7,congrats on the 292,it's a great boat.Where are you on Cape Cod? we are in Plymouth,but usually run out of Wareham.I have a 382 Fastech and a good friend in Buttermilk Bay also has a 382.His son just bought an SR1 this winter,so you have some Formula guys near by. We do a bunch of lunch runs to Oaks Bluff , Woods Hole,etc. Shoot me a PM in the spring,always looking to add to the group. Good Luck with the new boat. Jeff

Last edited by BONDO10; 12-17-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=4mulafastech;3272741].

The twin engines put a fair amount of weight back there. It really doesn't like to be running slower than 35 mph or she will start and fall off plane. The combination of the twin stepped hull and labbed props contribute to this.

Most of the time you should run with the outdrives in the neutral position (propshafts level with the hull). When it is on the trailer trim to this position and make a note of where your drive indicator is at. This is where you want to run the majority of the time. In rough water or running really slow, a little negative trim is good. Do not run negative trim during turns. It creates stern lift which is something you do not want with a twin stepped hull. Turn hard enough and she can spin-out. I have NEVER had any indication of this happening, but I am conservative in my turns. I just read about this being a possibility.

Wide open running is somewhat non-eventful. Neutral trim, tabs up, and she will run right at 70 mph. The deep V will sometimes want to chine walk in sloppy water, but nothing serious. I am running hydraulic steering which helps.

+1 on the trim settings,when its on the trailer run a string from the bottom of the first step to the transom.When the drives (prop shafts) are level with that string that is considered "neutral"They are a little slow to plane a lot of bow rise but its fixable by getting weight off the stern.
They are a great boat for what they are but carry an IAC motor and the torx to change it I think its a 27 or 30.They are cheap and go often.A lot of active members here have them so there is a lot of knowledge.If you are going to do long runs get drive showers.Here is a video of mine the buzzer going off is an IAC motor going.They always go at the worst time but I can change one in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uIDp..._order&list=UL

If you look at the other video's on my wifes channel they are mostly of my boat.Good luck have fun

Last edited by Expensive Date; 12-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BONDO10
mattd7,congrats on the 292,it's a great boat.Where are you on Cape Cod? we are in Plymouth,but usually run out of Wareham.I have a 382 Fastech and a good friend in Buttermilk Bay also has a 382.His son just bought an SR1 this winter,so you have some Formula guys near by. We do a bunch of lunch runs to Oaks Bluff , Woods Hole,etc. Shoot me a PM in the spring,always looking to add to the group. Good Luck with the new boat. Jeff
Hey Bondo,

I know who you guys are I keep my boat at the Maxi gas marina next to capt als, your friend I always see, I think i meet up with you once in CapeCod Bay when you first got that boat I had a yellow and purple 26 ZX Donzi. Ya my wife and I would love to have a couple people to boat with not many proformance boats in the area. I will deffinatly catch up with you in the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.