intake torque spec, and procedure >

intake torque spec, and procedure

Notices

intake torque spec, and procedure

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake torque spec, and procedure

I replaced my intake gaskets last year, due to water in the oil.

Must have done something wrong, as I developed an oil leak from the back of the intake.

I've always heard to start from the center, and work your way out.

Waht should I torque to? Dart Aluminum intake, Merlin Aluminum heads, and ARP bolts.

Also what is the best sealant to use? I used RTV black last time.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by cabin fever
I replaced my intake gaskets last year, due to water in the oil.

Must have done something wrong, as I developed an oil leak from the back of the intake.

I've always heard to start from the center, and work your way out.

Waht should I torque to? Dart Aluminum intake, Merlin Aluminum heads, and ARP bolts.

Also what is the best sealant to use? I used RTV black last time.
Depends on which gaskets you used..i usually tq to 25-30 lbs max..start off with 15 then 30..dont just torque them once,you need to keep going over them until they are al torqued evenly...i also seal all the intake bolt's threads..

good sealant to us is either ultra black or the rite stuff..all surfaces need to be oil and Greece free, wipe everything down with either a fast drying brake clean(no oil base chit like crc) i use super x non chlorinated,the flammable stuff..when you lay the bead across the back and the front of the intake go from the water port bolt hole across the deck over the the other bolt hole on the front and back of the block..lightly seal with the same sealer around the water ports and set the gaskets..apply more sealer at each corner where the head meets the block and go up tp the lower water port bolt on top of the gasket on all 4 corners..

i have been doing it thisway for years and NEVER had a intake leak..
Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Depends on which gaskets you used..i usually tq to 25-30 lbs max..start off with 15 then 30..dont just torque them once,you need to keep going over them until they are al torqued evenly...i also seal all the intake bolt's threads..

good sealant to us is either ultra black or the rite stuff..all surfaces need to be oil and Greece free, wipe everything down with either a fast drying brake clean(no oil base chit like crc) i use super x non chlorinated,the flammable stuff..when you lay the bead across the back and the front of the intake go from the water port bolt hole across the deck over the the other bolt hole on the front and back of the block..lightly seal with the same sealer around the water ports and set the gaskets..apply more sealer at each corner where the head meets the block and go up tp the lower water port bolt on top of the gasket on all 4 corners..

i have been doing it thisway for years and NEVER had a intake leak..
x2