Notices

Which exhaust system?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust system?

Hi,

I´m loocking for a good performing exhaust system for my BBC 502 with supercharger. What is the best to use? Dana?GIl? Drake? There are so many systems on the market... very confusing.

Thanks for help

Daniel
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Lots of variables. Depending on your particular engine combo, mainly cam specs, and how much HP, will help decide which exhaust is best.

If you are running long duration cams, you will want a system that has long risers, if not dry tail pipes. if your engines are mild and maybe say 600-650HP, i think a standard performance manifold is fine, but if you are running a big cam, lots of boost, etc, you may want to look into a cmi, or stelling headers, or keith eickert or stainless marine GEN III type of exhaust for higher HP applications.

I am partial to stainless marine when it comes to a basic manifold setup. They make top notch stuff. The dana marine ones are pretty.

Any route you go, i would look for a system with the longest tailpipes your setup will allow for. This is good for the future if you ever decide to run aggressive camshafts.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Eddie Marine makes a real nice system with stainless risers and are a good price. Alot of guys knock them but most have never ran or seen them in hand .
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Lots of variables. Depending on your particular engine combo, mainly cam specs, and how much HP, will help decide which exhaust is best.

If you are running long duration cams, you will want a system that has long risers, if not dry tail pipes. if your engines are mild and maybe say 600-650HP, i think a standard performance manifold is fine, but if you are running a big cam, lots of boost, etc, you may want to look into a cmi, or stelling headers, or keith eickert or stainless marine GEN III type of exhaust for higher HP applications.

I am partial to stainless marine when it comes to a basic manifold setup. They make top notch stuff. The dana marine ones are pretty.

Any route you go, i would look for a system with the longest tailpipes your setup will allow for. This is good for the future if you ever decide to run aggressive camshafts.
Thanks for your reply, The engine is rebuild but cam ist standard, I want a real 550-580hp on this engine. Í see a lot of offers with dry system or dry pipes, I´m not exactly sure what it means.?
Did you heard from Lightning exhaust?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Komo
Hi,

I´m loocking for a good performing exhaust system for my BBC 502 with supercharger. What is the best to use? Dana?GIl? Drake? There are so many systems on the market... very confusing.

Thanks for help

Daniel
I installed Stainless Marine Torquers on my 502 last summer...they're extremely reliable and perform great. You can go to www.stainlessteel.com and checkout the BBC Hi-Torque Gen-3 headers. They're a perfect match for your supercharged BBC. Good luck with whatever headers you choose.
TS27
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Komo
Thanks for your reply, The engine is rebuild but cam ist standard, I want a real 550-580hp on this engine. Í see a lot of offers with dry system or dry pipes, I´m not exactly sure what it means.?
Did you heard from Lightning exhaust?
Can you post up your cam specs? That will help. 550-580HP from a supercharged 502 should be a very mild setup, and not hard to do. As long as your cam is fairly mild, and a marine spec'd one, you shouldnt have any issues using gil, emi, stainless marine, dana, etc, and they all should be suffice for the amount of HP you will be running.

The lightning headers are good performing. I know some guys who run them. However, they run them in fresh water, i dont know how they would hold up in salt. I do believe they offer a full stainless header though.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a NA 522 and I'm definitely not running a stock cam. But I have a mild build 600+ HP and I am running Lightning wet headers. They came with the boat when I bought it. The boat is 12 years old and they look original. When I inspected them last spring there doesn't appear to be any signs of wear or corrosion. Lightning now has a reasonably priced set of Stainless wet headers for less then $2k.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Can you post up your cam specs? That will help. 550-580HP from a supercharged 502 should be a very mild setup, and not hard to do. As long as your cam is fairly mild, and a marine spec'd one, you shouldnt have any issues using gil, emi, stainless marine, dana, etc, and they all should be suffice for the amount of HP you will be running.

The lightning headers are good performing. I know some guys who run them. However, they run them in fresh water, i dont know how they would hold up in salt. I do believe they offer a full stainless header though.
Hi ,
I´m using the stock 502EFI camshaft at the moment. Problem with the risers is that I need an exhaust diverter to a silent choice. I use the boat on a river and it could not be as noisy all the time. If I use my Corsa diverter I cannot use a long manifold or elbow bwcause there is not enough space in my engine compartment. I need a manifold which has nearly the same connection to the tailpipes tahn the standard :-(
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Komo, a different cam and some CMI's would buy you some extra ponies, Any head work done?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 30Special
Yep, maybe 15 HP and after 3 month of summer in germany u need to send the CMI's back for welding...NICE..lol
is our summer really so bad? :-)
Why did you think they could make any problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.