Notices

winterizing

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterizing

ok this past weekend i flushed both motors with antifreeze, the port motor sucked it down no problem. the storbord motor had a little problem getting through the engine, it seemes that ive got a bit of trash or broken off peice of impeller, i have the crossover system no water pump, just the raw water pickup. ive noticed that when i attach my water hose to it its fine because im forcing water through the motor. on thing i did notice that when i first put itin the water this past summer i always check out the stern of the boat to make sure ive got water flow and the starbordhas been real weak! but one i get going for the day get it up on a plane it pumping fine of course because its forcing water through the pickup. put when i stop back down to an idel its seems to be pumping fine, so what im asking is ware would i start to find and blockage in that motor?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by [email protected]
ok this past weekend i flushed both motors with antifreeze, the port motor sucked it down no problem. the storbord motor had a little problem getting through the engine, it seemes that ive got a bit of trash or broken off peice of impeller, i have the crossover system no water pump, just the raw water pickup. ive noticed that when i attach my water hose to it its fine because im forcing water through the motor. on thing i did notice that when i first put itin the water this past summer i always check out the stern of the boat to make sure ive got water flow and the starbordhas been real weak! but one i get going for the day get it up on a plane it pumping fine of course because its forcing water through the pickup. put when i stop back down to an idel its seems to be pumping fine, so what im asking is ware would i start to find and blockage in that motor?

the pieces are most likely stuck in the intake side of the oil cooler..remove the oil cooler and look through it,they can also get stuck in the tiny holes of the cooler..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I shredded an impeller once, didn't realize that someone knocked the muffs off the drive when I was setting timing on the trailer. I used a garden hose on full to back flush everything thoroughly. I then checked the pieces to make sure I had everything.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I shredded an impeller once, didn't realize that someone knocked the muffs off the drive when I was setting timing on the trailer. I used a garden hose on full to back flush everything thoroughly. I then checked the pieces to make sure I had everything.
good idea, because my oil coolers to far down to really get to without pullin a motor, i will try that thanks for the info
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I've never had good luck with getting my Cafe to pull up from muffs. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Sump Pump for next to nothing. I just fill a big plastic jug with Anti-Freeze, turn on the sump pum and let it rip. Works wonderfully. You can also hook in a 3-way hose fitting so that you can run it on the garden hose for a while and then switch over to antifreeze when you are sure your stats are open (if you have them).