sea strainer question >

sea strainer question

Notices

sea strainer question

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sea strainer question

im looking to put a strainer in .my question..if i put the stainer on the same level as the sea pump.can i route the hose under the strainer and the back up to the pump..what do you think the chances of a air lock . from the pick up at the drive to the strainer will be 2 ft after the strainer to the pump is going to be close to 6ft with almost 2 feet back under the strainer.the lower half of the loop is going to be about 6in under strainer
..08 donzi 27zr 496 bravo x
thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

anybody
Old 01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

That will work fine. When to pump is turning, vacuum will keep the system drawing water. Water trapped in the pressure side of system will keep pump primed when engine is not running. Once you get moving the system is force feed and the pump is mostly along for the ride.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't use a strainer thru the drive pickup. Strainer should be mounted as low as possible in the bilge keeping the top just above the water line using a thru hull fitting and a shut off valve before the strainer. This provides a constant sorce of water supply when the boat is in the water and allows the lid to be removed for cleaning out any debris.. Run the hose from the pick up to the top of the strainer and out of the bottom to the sea pump. Let gravity do the work instead of relying on vacume from your sea pump. IMO.

PS I have a nice, hugh polished strainer available that handled 2 blown 468's in my old 30' Scarab. $400. plus the ride.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

I have mine mounted low with a cut-off also. When I first put in and under way I can see a air pocket in the strainer. If I lossen the lid and let the air out then all is well.