Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil"s ????

What oil to run. I have seen post on differant oil's some 20w50
,50weight ,10w40 syn, non syn,

in my drag car turbo , ran on alcohol. I run Brad Penn 50w
i used to run Redline and of corse Moble1 have never tryed Amsoil? and have used all kinds of Valvoline, castrol. and such

So in my new Boat engines "Not Drag Car" I want to see what you guys think of differant oils.

and why would my cranks "NEW" come with instructions sayin not to use Break in oils. I have always used them in the past i liked how it soaks into the metal.

Last edited by fastestonehere; 01-20-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I run Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 racing oil. Amsoil tech told me the racing oil has additives to withstand more stress. They recommend you change it more often then their premium motor oil. The racing oil can the pounding of a constant load on the crank for long periods of time. I run 10w-30 because my motor stays right around 150-160. Check the Amsoil site and read the reports, their oil is the best hands down.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Penzoil 25-50w racing oil, higher zinc contend designed for hogh rpm roller motors. A little hard to find but a speed shop should be able to get it.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered

Default oil

I'll second Pennzoil Racing. Buy it by the case. All I've used in high horsepower turbo car motors and supercharged boat motors, no issues related to oil degredation. The real key is frequent changes; its all about preventative maintenance!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I run Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 racing oil. Amsoil tech told me the racing oil has additives to withstand more stress. They recommend you change it more often then their premium motor oil. The racing oil can the pounding of a constant load on the crank for long periods of time. I run 10w-30 because my motor stays right around 150-160. Check the Amsoil site and read the reports, their oil is the best hands down.
I'm with this guy, but I run the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil. Once again, the highest additive package in the industry and my 60+hour seasons, the oil is still perfect according my OA reports.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

ok! now it seems Amsoil and Pensoil have a big pull.

Who has the best Zinc Protection.... And what about Break in oil. what gives. use it or not.

What amt. of hrs. on a change. no need to wait till it's time. what run time is conservitive... I am not an off shore racer by no means...But this is a conversation open to all for kinds used, and changes based on experience. Thank you all who respond.

how about differant oils for Hyd. Roller motors and Flat tappet?

Last edited by fastestonehere; 01-21-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default Oil Filter?

In this same chain of thought, I have seen posts here slamming Fram filters on boats, yet I see some pictures with them on nice engines. Is there a preferred oil filter and why is Fram looked down on?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I use Quicksilver 25w40 and Wix filter on my 525. Changed 3 times per season; About every 20 hours. This is the oil called for in the service manual and after reading all the oil threads on various forums one thing is clear: There is no clear best oil. I'm going to stick with what Mercury says to use in my engine and I'd suggest you run what your engine builder says. I'm not sure what you mean by break-in oil. I always thought you just didn't use synthetic for break-in.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM

If your running the big filters , Wix makes a good filter. I have run Brad Penn 50W in my Whippled motor, changed every 20 hours. I just had it tested and came back with minimal wear. Key is change often, I think every one will agree with that.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Default Oil

Hopefully to add info to the discussion- from the knowledge I've gained fram filters and other "off brand" filters use thinner housings and may not be able to withstand oil pressures inherent in boat engine applications. My engine builder recommends very specific components and I have enjoyed many hours of boating by following the advice of those with more experience. In addition, I change my oil every 10-12 hrs. A little overkill maybe but I'd rather spend 40 bucks often than the alternative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.