Cant find info on my boat. 87 Nova spyder

Notices

Cant find info on my boat. 87 Nova spyder

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find info on my boat. 87 Nova spyder

Hello all,
This is my first boat. I picked up an 87 26ft Wellcraft Nova spyder with one 454 Mag and a Alpha one drive.
The boat is clean and was just under 500 hours. It runs good with no problems. It has a SS 19pitch prop.

The boat seems to be very good on lake Erie. Im not sure where to find Motor specs, HP rating. What heads are on it or what the cam specs are. I dont know if its worth puting a Cam and intake on this boat or just running it the way it is.

Has any one had any luck or done any work to one of these?

thanks
Gene
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy1k
Hello all,
This is my first boat. I picked up an 87 26ft Wellcraft Nova spyder with one 454 Mag and a Alpha one drive.
The boat is clean and was just under 500 hours. It runs good with no problems. It has a SS 19pitch prop.

The boat seems to be very good on lake Erie. Im not sure where to find Motor specs, HP rating. What heads are on it or what the cam specs are. I dont know if its worth puting a Cam and intake on this boat or just running it the way it is.

Has any one had any luck or done any work to one of these?

thanks
Gene
Ha!... Funny you should say that... There's a current ongoing discussion in the Scarab forum about where to find good vintage Wellcraft info. You can go to their site and click "resources" and there's some info listed there under 1986, but apparently there is more to come. Checkout the thread if you get a chance...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

With an Alpha lower, I would not build that engine at all. You will end up buying a new lower unit.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Thanks guys..

Would it be worht it to put a bravo in it?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy1k
Thanks guys..

Would it be worht it to put a bravo in it?
It depends what you want to do with it. If you want to build the motor at all, you will want to put a Bravo drive in it. If you plan on leaving it stock, you'll probably blow through a drive or need a rebuild every three years or so.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe the 1987 model year 454 mag with the alpha was 330HP. Where in 1988, the 454 mag/bravo combo became the 365HP 454, with forged internals, rect port heads, etc.

I had a 1987 Four Winns Liberator. Boat was a 350 mag/alpha combo. Ended up becoming a 540ci, bravo boat. 50mph top speed to 72mph.

Enjoy it for what it is. Great boat, but you'll never recoup any money you invest in it. The engine you have isnt upgradeable very much, without spending alot of money. Your engines probably have the small peanut port heads, cast cranks, cast pistons, iron intake manifold, etc. Going to a cam, intake, and exhaust manifolds might help a little. But its a heavy boat for a single alpha.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Mild,
Thanks for the info. I will have fun with it