Rusty water when I drained the cooling system >

Rusty water when I drained the cooling system

Notices

Rusty water when I drained the cooling system

Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty water when I drained the cooling system

I have a 2007 496 motor with about 90 hours on it. The other day I drained the water in preparation of the latest freeze we had by removing the blue drain plugs, 2 starboard, 1 port. I noticed that the port side drained out very dirty and smelled of metal. The starboard side by the pump was clear. Im not sure what this means or if I should be worried. I do boat in salt and my routine is to flush after every trip for about 10 minutes in the driveway. I do not drain the water and the water had been in the system since about late september when I used it last. I usually only drain it if expecting a hard freeze since it stays in my garage in Houston.

So could this be from me leaving water in the system for so long and should I do any further exlporation to find where the rusty water came from?

TIA
Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smelled of metal ????? possibly antifreeze from winterization ?? water will always turn rusty from the block & heads ...check the dipstick and see what the oil looks like or just drain the oil out of motor and that will tell alot ..good luck
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

No, not antifreeze.I don't winterize in Houston, but this year I decided to drain the manifolds and fresh water system due to last weeks extended freeze. I normally lay it up after flushing even through the winter. Winter is usually only a couple months anyways.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...check the dipstick and see what the oil looks like or just drain the oil out of motor and that will tell alot
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's normal, but don't you have the pump on your system? If your laying it up rather than leaving the water in it if it's saltwater maybe pump it up to let the water out.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered

I do have the quick drain system, but broke one of the air fittings on the water pump last week while changing the impeller therfore I had to drain the old fashoned way. I do not ever leave saltwater in the system. I flush everytime and then put it up. Maybe i need to start draining the system after every outing. Its just strange to me that the starboard side drained clear, but the port side very dirty and rusty. I think that perhaps less fresh water is getting to that side when on the hose and I just need to flush longer and then drain. Im going to check the oil this week, but It was changed in Sept and has about 10 hrs on it. assuming the oil is fine, should I be worried that the manifold could be rusting from the inside?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water left in a block is always going to get rusty after a little time. It is normal.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
water left in a block is always going to get rusty after a little time. It is normal.
+1

Ever leave a drywall knife, or paint brush with metal on it in water overnight?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks. I'm just wondering why one side was rusty, but the other was fine. Makes me think that side maybe isn't getting an adequate flush.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

You are most likely correct that one side is getting less water to it than the other. My manifolds run very different temps side to side. I used to worry about it, but a quick post here found it's the same for many others. Unequal water between manifold sides seems very common.