building a sbc motor >

building a sbc motor

Notices

building a sbc motor

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a sbc motor

was just woundering if i can take an automotive block and put all my marine rotating assembley in it if it would still be the same my reason for doing this is that the previous owner never winterized the motors and in result the blocks are cracked
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, start searching and reading.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nova guy
was just woundering if i can take an automotive block and put all my marine rotating assembley in it if it would still be the same my reason for doing this is that the previous owner never winterized the motors and in result the blocks are cracked
dont forget the heads,exhaust manifolds,and anything that water can freeze in.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

And if they are vortech engines make sure you check the bottom of the intakes for cracks as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Yes last summer I did this exact thing for the exact same reason. I used an automotive block without an issue. Be sure you use a block of the same vintage as the one removed to allow for reuse of oil pan and accessories, there were several configurations through out the years.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by winterfunguy
Yes last summer I did this exact thing for the exact same reason. I used an automotive block without an issue. Be sure you use a block of the same vintage as the one removed to allow for reuse of oil pan and accessories, there were several configurations through out the years.
+1 the late 90's alone have three different variations of this engine
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
+1 the late 90's alone have three different variations of this engine
If you use the nice plastic Vorted timing cover on an earlier block it will leak like the dickens . Unfortunately, it won't start leaking until after you break the cam in and you are 5 miles into your first outing.....
Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

I never thought locating a sbc would be such a big deal but the whole cash for clunkers really messed that market up hopefully today ill have one the biggest issue was making sure it had a fuel pump provision does anybody know where i can get torgue spec for putting the new motor together as far as mains, rods, and roating assembly dont know if the specs are different from automotive to marine any help or suggestions would be of great help.

Last edited by nova guy; 02-12-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: had another question to ask
Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered

I've used Wheeler reconditioned blocks on two seperate occations when machined blocks were needed in a hurry. I received them in less then a week. You will need oversized pistons and rings. They come CNC clearanced for 3.750 stroke, you could build ut as a 383 for not much more money. As with anything, all of the oil galley plugs need to be removed and final washed. I don't know if I'd order a complete engine from them.
http://wheelerpowerproducts.com/p-61...d-mb-1-pc.aspx
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nova guy
I never thought locating a sbc would be such a big deal but the whole cash for clunkers really messed that market up hopefully today ill have one the biggest issue was making sure it had a fuel pump provision does anybody know where i can get torgue spec for putting the new motor together as far as mains, rods, and roating assembly dont know if the specs are different from automotive to marine any help or suggestions would be of great help.
You can buy the manual or access it online and print here
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/...oc_online.html

I used them in a past when I helped assemble some old 440hps, had everything we wanted to know. Tourqe specs and factory tolerances. Wiring diagrams were nice too, we made our own harness.

For $35 hard to beat