496 sea pump  impeller >

496 sea pump impeller

Notices

496 sea pump impeller

Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 sea pump impeller

Hi all any diff in quality of sea pump impeller mec and sierra i live in the uk and easy to get sierra parts next day but i am sure i read on hear somewhere that this sierra part was crapp thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

I have heard that same statement about the sea pump impellers, but every mercury dealer I have ordered parts from say they are the same parts. I can say that when ever I order any mercruiser parts and get Sierra, they look the same and fit the same, but I can not vouch for the quality of the impellers. As these are a maintenance item, I always keep a spare in the boat, so I would just buy 2 and keep the spare in the boat.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
I have heard that same statement about the sea pump impellers, but every mercury dealer I have ordered parts from say they are the same parts. I can say that when ever I order any mercruiser parts and get Sierra, they look the same and fit the same, but I can not vouch for the quality of the impellers. As these are a maintenance item, I always keep a spare in the boat, so I would just buy 2 and keep the spare in the boat.
Are you sure you are not talkning about Mercruiser and Quicksilver???? They are the same.
Sierra is a totally different company. I have read plenty of stories about Sierra impellers not priming and not lasting.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

You might be right on that one Griff. I have used some sierra parts before and they seem ok and I never had any problem with them. However, I have never used any of their water pump parts.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Registered

thanks for the replys i think i will just buy 2 mer parts and keep the ones that came out as spares , they do not have any cracks or bits missing and seem to work fine but look a bit out of shape , my last boat had a jabsco pump and had the same impeller for 20 years and it is still working fine .
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I've ran both Merc/Quicksilver and Sierra impellers and have gotten the same life out of both in a 496. I change them out every 100 hours or every other season. Whether they were the Merc or Sierra, they always looked like new.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've ran both Merc/Quicksilver and Sierra impellers and have gotten the same life out of both in a 496. I change them out every 100 hours or every other season. Whether they were the Merc or Sierra, they always looked like new.
THANKS