Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish >

Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Notices

Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

I have a 2003 Velocity 260. I realize this is a fairly new boat to be discussing restoring the Gel Coat Finish...... I bought the boat from a dealership in Las Vegas last winter. The boat was a repo that had been bounced around from dealer to dealer until I bought it. Anyway it is a completly white Velocity with out factory Graphics (other than the Velocity Sticker on the cowl area). While the boat appears white it isn't consistant. Nor is it a bright white. It has areas that are more of a yellowish tint than others. The Gel appears to be all original it just looks like it has faded or discolored unevenly..... I used a 3M heavy cut compound followed by the Leverage OD and polish at the beginning of last summer. I was able to get a very nice gloss, the discoloring is driving me nuts!!! Most people don't notice it until I tie up to a bright white boat. It then becomes painfully obvious...... Is it possible to bring the color back by wet sanding? Or does this discoloring sound like it might be deep in the gel? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wet sand it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
Wet sand it.
Agreed. I would start with 1200 grit.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by low_psi
I have a 2003 Velocity 260. I realize this is a fairly new boat to be discussing restoring the Gel Coat Finish...... I bought the boat from a dealership in Las Vegas last winter. The boat was a repo that had been bounced around from dealer to dealer until I bought it. Anyway it is a completly white Velocity with out factory Graphics (other than the Velocity Sticker on the cowl area). While the boat appears white it isn't consistant. Nor is it a bright white. It has areas that are more of a yellowish tint than others. The Gel appears to be all original it just looks like it has faded or discolored unevenly..... I used a 3M heavy cut compound followed by the Leverage OD and polish at the beginning of last summer. I was able to get a very nice gloss, the discoloring is driving me nuts!!! Most people don't notice it until I tie up to a bright white boat. It then becomes painfully obvious...... Is it possible to bring the color back by wet sanding? Or does this discoloring sound like it might be deep in the gel? Any suggestions are welcome.
sounds like you may have some vary fine dirt in the gelcoat pores,,try cleaning a area with the works toilet bowl cleaner,,if that dont do it then get some 1000 grit sand paper for a da and try wet sanding a small area then buff it and see if it makes a difference..
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you start wet sanding, do a search on how it is done. You can do a lot of damage if not done correctly.

I use 3M marine finesse-it glaze on a much older black sided boat. It works very well to restore consistent color.

Make sure sides are clean and grit free.

Use an adjustable speed polisher 1800 - 3000 rpm with a large diameter polisher.

Do a small 2x2 ft area and follow the directions on the bottle.

Good Luck
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

1200 or 1000 grit and hand sand it if your not real familiar with a da sander ,u can do alot damage fast ...good luck
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

I have plenty of experience wet sanding by hand and DA........ I used to do a lot of custom automotive paint work. I Just want to make sure I have explored every alternative before I start sanding on this one. I hate wetsanding (have yet to meet someone who doesn't). I have seen and done a few boats where they were real chaulky and wetsanding brought the gloss back. I just haven't delt with discoloring before...

Last edited by low_psi; 02-15-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

I have plenty of experience wet sanding by hand and DA........ I used to do a lot of custom automotive paint work. I Just want to make sure I have explored every alternative before I start sanding on this one. I hate wetsanding (have yet to meet someone who doesn't).
fire up the DA ... BIG Daddy not what ya want to hear but your only option , just did a fountain that sat in the Havazoo sun for 10 years and looks showroom new again .. get a couple 30 packs and have at it
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
fire up the DA ... BIG Daddy not what ya want to hear but your only option , just did a fountain that sat in the Havazoo sun for 10 years and looks showroom new again .. get a couple 30 packs and have at it
Yeah, I kind of knew this before making the post. Just hoping someone had a "mirical in a bottle" that would magically get ride of the discoloring........... My problem is I have a bad back (2 rods & 4 bolts) so this is going to take more than a couple of 30 packs for me...... Wetsanding isn;t something I want my friends doing for me..... This is one of those if you want it done right, do it yourself areas. So I will just have to do a little bit at a time and not push myself....... I will have to wait until spring to get it out from shrink wrap anyway.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Yeah, I kind of knew this before making the post. Just hoping someone had a "mirical in a bottle" that would magically get ride of the discoloring........... My problem is I have a bad back (2 rods & 4 bolts) so this is going to take more than a couple of 30 packs for me...... Wetsanding isn;t something I want my friends doing for me..... This is one of those if you want it done right, do it yourself areas. So I will just have to do a little bit at a time and not push myself....... I will have to wait until spring to get it out from shrink wrap anyway.
"mirical in a bottle"

would be toilet bowl cleaner ( The Works ) to rid the yellowing & discoloration but it will be back every weekend , sounds like yur lookin forward to spring but not to wet sanding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.