90' 292 Sr1 - Good - Bad - Ugly?

Notices
Formula

90' 292 Sr1 - Good - Bad - Ugly?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
BSD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90' 292 Sr1 - Good - Bad - Ugly?

I'm currently in the market for a new to me used boat. I stumbled across a 1990 292 SR1 with twin big blocks. I ran it by a friend of mine who is a formula guy and he talked it over with his dealer, also a formula guy. The dealer thinks the boat is too ass heavy with the twin big blocks and its really a 272 with a swim platform. prone to taking on water over the rear, etc. and was a bad apple from the start. I don't believe he's got any reason to lie to me about the boat, but I can't seem to find any information to back up the statement about the boats taking on water. I'm just looking for some verification. I see some guys have eliminated the platform to shed some weight and gain some deadrise in the water + obvious performance gains with less exhaust pressure.

Every thread I've come across on the 292 SR1 is that its a great boat, but most went with a 311 because it had a bigger cabin and only cost a few bucks more for the upgrade in hull performance in the open water. I'm itching to upgrade from my bowrider, and the 292 seems like a hell of a step up. I was originally looking for a 252 or similar but the price is right on the 292. I'd love to find a 311 for the increase in cabin and engine room but I haven't seen any in my price range.

Was the 292 SR1 short lived for the ass-heavy nature of the beast?
LOA is a 29'2" with the platform, correct?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BSD
I'm currently in the market for a new to me used boat. I stumbled across a 1990 292 SR1 with twin big blocks. I ran it by a friend of mine who is a formula guy and he talked it over with his dealer, also a formula guy. The dealer thinks the boat is too ass heavy with the twin big blocks and its really a 272 with a swim platform. prone to taking on water over the rear, etc. and was a bad apple from the start. I don't believe he's got any reason to lie to me about the boat, but I can't seem to find any information to back up the statement about the boats taking on water. I'm just looking for some verification. I see some guys have eliminated the platform to shed some weight and gain some deadrise in the water + obvious performance gains with less exhaust pressure.

Every thread I've come across on the 292 SR1 is that its a great boat, but most went with a 311 because it had a bigger cabin and only cost a few bucks more for the upgrade in hull performance in the open water. I'm itching to upgrade from my bowrider, and the 292 seems like a hell of a step up. I was originally looking for a 252 or similar but the price is right on the 292. I'd love to find a 311 for the increase in cabin and engine room but I haven't seen any in my price range.

Was the 292 SR1 short lived for the ass-heavy nature of the beast?
LOA is a 29'2" with the platform, correct?
292 is w/o the platform, great boat, 311 and 292's are real simalar in price
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

that era Formulas are measured WITHOUT the platform, so add 2 feet for it. The 272's and 311's were more popular because the 311 was nearly as fast as the 292 with the same power. The 272 came with either SBC or BBC but the 292/311 only came with BBC.....that Formula dealer doesn't know what he's talking about IMO (maybe he's thinking of the newer/smaller 292 that only comes with SBC and therefore his opinion would be justified, the newer boat I would consider a 27ft with a swim platform). A buddy had a 272 with twin 454's and the boat wouldn't break 70.....the 292/311 were a couple mph slower. All these boats are wave crushers for their size and other than an older Cigarette they are the only brands I'd consider in a 20 year old boat.

Last edited by t500hps; 02-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I wouldn't listen to another word out of the dealer's mouth. The 1990 292 is 30'11' with the platform. Go to the Formula site and you can download the 1990 brochure with all the specs. I've never heard of that boat having any issues.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

I've got an 89' 292 SR-1 that is completely stripped that I'm going thru right now.

It has Bravo's and Twin 454 Mag's instead of the 330hp's...

I put it on a drastic weight reduction program! No silent thunder swim deck, went to aluminum exhaust manifolds, no refer or mascerator, removed all the bow rails etc., etc. and everything is either getting updated or replaced.

Also, I removed the windshield and made a fairing for it.

They do have inherent problems and you might want to read Audiofn's posts on his Formula that he re-did a while back.

One big issue is interior drainage... there is none!

If water enters the boat from say, a leaking windshield, it has nowhere to go but to just settle under the step in the cabin. That can, and will, cause major repair issues if left that way.

There is the same problem in the center of the boat where the gas tank is... No drainage if water gets in there.

There are other things to look for obviously, but I think the water issue is the biggest one... And the water issues will lead to rot if left unchecked.

That was be my biggest concern with an older Formula like mine.

I think the 292 Sr-1 is an awesome boat and a great value for what you get!

Best of Luck to You
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It is absolutley not a 272 with a swim platform bolted on, 272 292 and 311 all have silent thunder platform in the era, that are bolted to the transom. There is no problem with water coming over the stern either. I know where theres a very nice 292 for sale, in Northeast Mass. Interested??
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM
BSD
Registered

thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I got in contact with the seller last night and we spoke about it briefly and I got some better pics of it. I'm going to setup a time to go look at it next week with a mechanic i have working on my other boat.

Hull has ~800 hrs on it and the rebuilt big blocks have less than 200 on them. It sounds they were rebuilt pretty close to stock (which I'd prefer, it seems less likely they were beat on that way). Interior looks OK, evidently has one rip in the rear seat. The owner has had it for 5 years now and last took it out 3 years ago, although he said its been prepped and re-winterized every season since. He had the carbs rebuilt this year but never splashed the boat. I asked him to rate it on a 1-10 scale, he said 7.5-8.

Needs a trailer & cover. What should a boat of this caliber go for? I've got a hunch, and what he's asking seems like a comfortable number for me if it meets my expectations in work needed

Jiffy292, I'd be happy to take a look, it can't hurt. send me an email [email protected] with pics/info. Just remove the "292" from the address. (keeps spam down)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

post some pics and you'll get some cost estimates...based on what you've stated so far I'm guessing low-mid $20's.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 AM
BSD
Registered

Here's the boat, it's out of suffolk county, LI. anyone know the boat?

Last edited by BSD; 02-18-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

this boat has been for sale for 3 years plus, i talked to guy way back when i was lookign for one. he is hard to deal with i talked to him a few times. he will not get the boat running for you to come see it!! i wouldnt pay more than 15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.