Balance and blueprint worth it? >

Balance and blueprint worth it?

Notices

Balance and blueprint worth it?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance and blueprint worth it?

Is it worth the money. I am building some bbc with 177 blowers. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Is the money worth the gain and reliabilty.

Thanks Silky Steve
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO it depends on who is doing the balancing and blueprinting...

The phrase "balancing and blueprinting," IMO is more of a marketing ploy for builders to charge more for properly built motors. That's all balancing and blueprinting is in my book... Properly balanced motor coupled with proper assembly.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen it done, and it should be done. All of the pistons and rods should weigh the same. Then the crank should be ballanced. Would you drive your car without the tires being ballanced. That would be a pretty rough ride.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Proper build blueprinting is more than balancing that has to be done by someone qualified, experienced and equipped to do it right. There are plenty of good marine engine shops that will do it right, but don't expect Cheap!
You are going to spend good bucks to build good blown BBC's for marine use. Use a good shop, use good parts and don't skimp and cut budget corners, you'll end up buying and building them twice!
Also get those puppies properly air/fuel calibrated or they won't last many minutes let alone a season or two!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar