exhaust temperature in water jacketed headers >

exhaust temperature in water jacketed headers

Notices

exhaust temperature in water jacketed headers

Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust temperature in water jacketed headers

Can anyone tell me the nominal temperature or temperature gradient of the exhaust gases at both ends of a water jacketed header on a naturally aspirated gas engine.

Also, please let me know any contributing factors to the exhaust temperature.

any info or pointers are appreciated.
thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The water jackets are there not to cool the exhaust gas, but to cool the outer pipes, so they dont get hot like a car does. High exhaust temps can be from a lean fuel mixture, or retarded timing.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The water jackets are there not to cool the exhaust gas, but to cool the outer pipes, so they don't get hot like a car does. High exhaust temps can be from a lean fuel mixture, or retarded timing.
Thank you.
Ignition timing or vavle timing?

I am trying to get a rough order on the actual measured temperatures.
I just have no idea what practical exhaust temperatures are and figured the water jacket may be influencing the temperature at the collector and slowing down the slugs and the pulses.
Basically, for argument sake, if a normal auto exhaust is 700 degrees C at the collector would a water jacketed exhaust be closer to 500 or 700?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

you should be able to lay your hands on the manifold without getting burned.....
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the question is what an egt probe will read. How much lower should an egt measured just after the collector on a CMI header vs an automotive header.

Also, how much heat would be lost between reading an egt right in the runner vs after the collector? Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
I think the question is what an egt probe will read. How much lower should an egt measured just after the collector on a CMI header vs an automotive header.

Also, how much heat would be lost between reading an egt right in the runner vs after the collector? Thanks
Exactly, thank you.
How and where do you install an EGT sensor on a jacketed header?
Is there a way you can snake a probe up the exhaust to measure?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it would be any cooler than car exhaust. You are running under higher loads and throttle openings in a boat. That would more than make up for any cooling from the manifold.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

I'm running a egt right at the head #7 cylinder I have it tuned to see 700-725 @ idle cruising about 850-950 wot 1350- 1400 @ wot is about 12.5 afr That was how i did a close tune. I did a safe tune on it 2 years ago . I will be tuning with the dual channel lm2 meter this year tuning by a temp will prevent melt downs it is the closest to afr reading for a safe tune.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
I'm running a egt right at the head #7 cylinder I have it tuned to see 700-725 @ idle cruising about 850-950 wot 1350- 1400 @ wot is about 12.5 afr That was how i did a close tune. I did a safe tune on it 2 years ago . I will be tuning with the dual channel lm2 meter this year tuning by a temp will prevent melt downs it is the closest to afr reading for a safe tune.
Thank you. Do you have any advise on purchasing or installing the EGT sender?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1400 degree EGTs seems to be the norm and a shot of meth brings her down to 1200 degrees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.