Oil Filter Questions

Notices

Oil Filter Questions

Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Oil Filter Questions

I've used the K&N 3002 or the Napa Gold 1060 forever. I just built new engines and wanted to get an even larger Napa filter so I considered the Napa 1794 (a few OSO members run these) But after researching it, I dont want to run he 1794 since it doesnt have an anti drain back valve. When you run it inverted in a marine remote filter, it drains when you shut it off.... so when the engine starts, you have to fill that puppy and the engine presumably runs dry even longer (its about a 1.5 to 2 qt filter)

Should I just stick with what is proven with a K&N 3002 or the Napa Gold 1060 or is their a benefit to the 2 quart filter? Does a 2 qt filter exist with an anti drain back?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been using the Amsoil filters for years. I am trying the EA076 this year, its 8" long and holds 2 qts.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the benefit to having a larger capacity oil filter? The only real benefit that I see is that it would have a larger element. I don't see why holding a volume would matter, as it isn't in an area that is part of the pickup or supply for the pump. Maybe it would lower the oil temperature having more oil in the system, or maybe the larger filter would act as a helper to the oil cooler?

I'm not saying that there isn't a benefit to running a larger capacity filter, I'm just trying to see where that benefit is.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A larger filter will increase filtration and reduce the pressure drop across the filter because it can provide more filtered oil faster.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Don't oversize oil filters, keep the oil cool!

Kieth:

In your warm water temperatures I would hope and recommend that you concentrate on a bigger oil cooler and don't worry about the size of the filter as the 1060 is plenty big enough to handle the filtering of your engines oil. Its keeping the oil at a good constant temperature around 180-230 degrees under most loads that will do the most to benefit your new engines.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
What's the benefit to having a larger capacity oil filter? The only real benefit that I see is that it would have a larger element. I don't see why holding a volume would matter, as it isn't in an area that is part of the pickup or supply for the pump. Maybe it would lower the oil temperature having more oil in the system, or maybe the larger filter would act as a helper to the oil cooler?

I'm not saying that there isn't a benefit to running a larger capacity filter, I'm just trying to see where that benefit is.
Bigger is better, unless you are stock, then the regular filter is fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When you get in to the 2 qt filters, does it take the oil pump too long to prime them when they are in a marine application upside down?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just keep in mind, the longer away, larger size, will effect oil pressure....
Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
just keep in mind, the longer away, larger size, will effect oil pressure....
It is in the stock location but with bigger lines.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Kieth:

In your warm water temperatures I would hope and recommend that you concentrate on a bigger oil cooler and don't worry about the size of the filter as the 1060 is plenty big enough to handle the filtering of your engines oil. Its keeping the oil at a good constant temperature around 180-230 degrees under most loads that will do the most to benefit your new engines.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Agree on what you wrote. Oil temps extremely important. But, I read in this tread comments regarding pressure. Please chime in with your comments on pressure vs. volume. Not static volume, volume as it relates to FLOW.

Would not a larger oil filter help in volume flow?