Speaker wire distribution block [audio question]

Notices

Speaker wire distribution block [audio question]

Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker wire distribution block [audio question]

Hey Guys

I have most of the parts and pieces ready to redo the stereo in my boat, I was wondering what you guys have used for "distribution blocks" for the speaker wires? I will have about 16 wires going into 1 amp and 10-12 wires going to 2 other amps, is there a distribution block or something similiar I can use to run the wires to before the amp? Or is it easier to just run all the wires to the amp itself?

Thanks for the input!
Michael
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

Got your PM but will answer here

When ever I have to put that many wires to an amp I always used a terminal block. Basically just a block with a row of screw terminals, like you see in a dash for the grounds on older boats.

Try to find the ones that are all connected, otherwise you have to make small little jumpers from terminal to terminal.

Anyway one block for positive one for negative. Use a larger 8ga wire from amp to terminal block. Then smaller from there.

You might be able to find them at Lowes or Home Depot otherwise you can get them at www.Partsexpress.com

So what all did you get? Have you done a wire diagram yet?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Why not just wire the speakers together before they get to the amp???? You can just wire them directly to each other.
It does the same thing as running 2 wires to each + and - for each channel.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How many speakers are going to one amp exactly, how many channels on each amp, what ohm load are you looking to accomplish? There are many ways to go about this but we need more info.

Jon
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you have to take in account the ohm load when you hook all the speakers together? Wire some in parallel, some in series?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys!

I have seen the distribution blocks, but, most of the ones I have seen where "isolated", so, I will have to look around for one that is set up with all the terminals connected

My set up [so far] is as follows

4- ten inch polk audio dual voice coil subwoofers, wired for a 4 ohm load, powered by a single Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp

4- sets of Polk audio 6.5" components [seperate woofer and tweeter] powered by a single Alpine PDX 4.150 amp wired for 4 ohm

2- sets of 8" mid bass drivers powered by a single Alpine PDX 4.100 at 4 ohm load.

So, unless I wire all the speakers together as Griff suggested, I will have 8 wires going to the subwoofer amp. 16 wires going to the component amp. and 8 wires going to the mid bass amp.

The subs and mid bass speakers are mounted low in the boat, the components and tweeters are going to be mounted high on the gunnels. I currently have 2 Optima red tops for starting, and 2 blue tops to run the battery, and I ordered a 200 Amp marine Alternator [3 wire] to replace the rebuilt stock [4 wire] Mando unit the boat currently has.

Any Thoughts?
Michael
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you wire this correctly, you will have 2 wires going to the sub amp...16 wires going to the 6.5 comp amp which has 8 terminals so 2 wires per terminal.....and 8 wires going to the mid bass amp which has 8 terminals.....I don't see a need for you to use dist blocks for the speakers.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's a Radio Shack near you they sell the distribution blocks in various sizes and the term. to term. connectors your looking for.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Hey Guys!

........ and I ordered a 200 Amp marine Alternator [3 wire] to replace the rebuilt stock [4 wire] Mando unit the boat currently has.

Any Thoughts?
Michael

Be sure you also upgrade the alt wiring so the existing wiring doesn't glow in the dark.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have 2 amps for all those speaker? You will under power all that with just 2 amps, unless I read that wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.