Making Power with engine temp? >

Making Power with engine temp?

Notices

Making Power with engine temp?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Making Power with engine temp?

Ive heard all kinds of reasons to run your engine cold. Same goes for running a t-stat and running at 160 degrees, people say building heat, makes power. Some people run no t-stat, some people swear you need one. Dyno shop told me to run 140 t-stat. Some say its bad for the engine to run cold ALL the time........ WHAT PROS AND CONS ARE THERE RUNNING ENGINE COLD COMPARED TO RUNNING IT AT 140 DEGREES ??? Lets see if we can get a final answer on all this. Does it depend on your specific set up?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Blower motors, no stat. Keeps them running cooler, for detonation purposes.

More important than water temp, is oil temp in my opinion. Problem with no stats is sometimes you cant get oil temp, because the block being cold, combined with the oil cooler, wont let the oil get up to temp. Thats where oil t-stats come into play.

If it were mine, a N/A engine, 140* water temps, and good oil temps is what i'd shoot for. Water psi relief valves in the system also to keep water psi under control...

Im sure the experts will be of more help..
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Final answer....yes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the biggest problems with running cold water temps is condensation building in the oil. That is why an oil thermostat is so important. I run an open crossover and never see anything over 110º water temp, but always run 215º oil temps. I am a touch over 10:1 compression N/A so controlling detonation is a big factor in my decision to not run a thermostat.

I dont know if it will make more power running colder, but it will allow a bit more timing and compression/boost, so that will boost power a little.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Blower motors, no stat. Keeps them running cooler, for detonation purposes.

More important than water temp, is oil temp in my opinion. Problem with no stats is sometimes you cant get oil temp, because the block being cold, combined with the oil cooler, wont let the oil get up to temp. Thats where oil t-stats come into play.

If it were mine, a N/A engine, 140* water temps, and good oil temps is what i'd shoot for. Water psi relief valves in the system also to keep water psi under control...

Im sure the experts will be of more help..
Well, just put stats in to get alittle engine temp.( Havent run them yet though, too cold out still) When I run them and the water pressure is above 25 lbs at WOT, I will put pressure relief valves in. Now, where do I plumb them in? I will post an engine pic if it helps. There will also be a 1.5 inch aluminum spacer under the water neck with 3 threaded port holes that I can use if needed.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Reading Philm's post, these are 10:1 comp 572 CI engines. would 140 be too hot? There also no oil temp gauges. Could I use one of those temp guns to check oil temp at the oil filter?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in this exact position. Fresh rebuilt 454 Mag with a Procharger, crossover, no thermostat, engine temp does not get above 100*.......oil temp is obviously not getting high enough because I am getting condensation in the oil.............it was suggested I take the oil cooler out of the equation....??? Anybody see a problem with that?

I run cold west coast Pacific Ocean water.....

PS. I use a temp gun to shoot water and oil temps, works well, take readings from oil filter as well as pan.....
Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Kreed:

Looking at your Avatar I will assume those are your engines?
If they have aluminum heads and you are running in salt water, corrosion will be your biggest problem without freshwater cooling.
I would suggest for longevity and durability, add freshwater cooling on the engine ( you can use nice remote stringer mount coolers)and put in a 143 degree stat and some antifreeze and your cooling temperatures will not be a problem. Your water temps will run at about 160-170 degrees which is perfect for combustion efficiency and getting rid of condensation in the oil and engine. Properly cool your oil and keep those temps between 180 -230 degrees and your engines should love you for many hours.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fog,
The oil theromsat is best way to build oil temp. It restricts the oil flow to allow the oil temp to build to the 215-220 degree level that cooks off the water. There are numerous boaters including myself that show 100 degree or no water temp...no issues.
Ben
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Besides removing water from the oil, are there any other benifits to running a hotter(180 to 220) oil temp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.