1990 22 Donzi 460 rebuild.....some questions >

1990 22 Donzi 460 rebuild.....some questions

Notices

1990 22 Donzi 460 rebuild.....some questions

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 22 Donzi 460 rebuild.....some questions

After 22 years of neglect, abuse, and passing Launchpad's Mirage, my motor is done. 3 of the 8 holes have right around 100#, and it leaks more oil then the Valdez.

Before I get 1000 "Yank it out and put a BBC and a Bravo", its not going to happen. I'm stupid, and I like to put money into things that don't work (Like automatic 700hp diesels).

My first question is using these adapters (http://www.cpperformance.com/p-344-e...-manifold.aspx) with a set of 496 manifolds (this project is on a tight budget, I can get a set of 496 manifolds for cheap from a friend).

Next is my friend has a set of DOVE heads in his garage I can get cheap, are they much better then what I have?

Cam? I know jack about this kind of stuff, but i'm sure I could use one

And finally, the boat has a Edelbrock performer intake and a Holley 750 (maybe 850?) DP that are new as of last May, so I plan on leaving them alone, unless you guys think otherwise.

I just want a reliable running motor that won't make the King Cobra fall off the back of the boat when I leave the hole.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

You should be able to get that motor to 400hp with heads, a cam, and some exhaust. I had a King Cobra 454 that had a 750 Holley, I suspect thats what you have.

429 heads are the best I believe, but may blow your budget. I am sure some mild porting, a good valve job, and a little more compression on your heads will give you a noticable kick.

Ditch that stock intake and make a boat anchor out of it, get an edelbrock Performer RPM or equivalent.

Cam wise just keep the same lobe separation angle and go with something with a little more lift.

I cant open that link, getting a good exhaust will be the toughest thing to find
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will probably find the heads are junk...real small ports that came with a big intake port(I know you have a diff intake now) they have some decent heads available now...basic rebuilt and a decent marine cam will make it do ok...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by CaribouLou
And finally, the boat has a Edelbrock performer intake and a Holley 750 (maybe 850?)
Originally Posted by rexcramer1
Ditch that stock intake and make a boat anchor out of it, get an edelbrock Performer RPM or equivalent.
Dude..................

CaribouLou, if your choke housing hasn't been removed you can ID the carb from the "list" number on it.

http://tgsperformance.com/holley.htm

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-31-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered

So with the 496 manifolds, the DOVE heads, and a good cam, I should be able to see 400hp? What will the King Cobra hold up to?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

It will handle 400hp if you take it easy and get off the throttle when you get airborne. The problem is that it is over 20 years old so in reality it could let go any time or last five more years.

You can probably find an outdrive for a decent price if you keep your eyes open, then if you have any issues with your old drive just slide it out and put the next one on.

Now is a good time to check the mounts, bearings, and inspect the upper gears before the new motor goes in
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

My drive was just COMPLETELY gone thru, cone clutch replaced and lapped in. My drive only has around 250hrs on it, and the guy who did it said it is in amazing shape inside. Hope it lasts a few more years, and will keep looking for units to replace it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by CaribouLou
My drive was just COMPLETELY gone thru, cone clutch replaced and lapped in. My drive only has around 250hrs on it, and the guy who did it said it is in amazing shape inside. Hope it lasts a few more years, and will keep looking for units to replace it.
lou,,one of my custs has a 211 liberator with the 89 king on it..i redid the engine over 12 yrs ago,460 ford with 490 hp 570 ftlbs of tq..he is running a 4 blade labbes mach propeller and drives it like he stloe it.never had a issur with the drive...you should be fine with what ever hp you throw at in the 22..
Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

What do you guys think of this cam?

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=K34-236-4
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Looks a little hotter to me then you might want, though I am certainly no expert on Ford cams. On a Chevy a 112 LSA is very close to possible reversion, 114 is safer, so you might want to do some research on that.

Basically what you want is to find the specs for your current cam and add 5-10 degrees of duration and a couple of tenths of lift. That is of course unless you are planning on going with some better heads or doing a lot of porting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.