oil cooler install question! >

oil cooler install question!

Notices

oil cooler install question!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler install question!

Iam installing a Keith Eickert 620-750 oil cooler that uses a Thermostatically Controlled set up..http://www.keitheickert.com/p-13676-...on-cooler.aspx

Which way does the oil flow into and out of the oil cooler.

Does the oil go into the cooler were the thermostat is installed on the left side or on the other side?
Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Anybody have an idea how to install the oil lines into this cooler? I just mounted the cooler in the boat now I just need to route the oil lines...
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Dam guys all these wise men on here and not one knowing which way the lines go in to this cooler...come on help me...
Old 04-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

T-stat should be on the oil out side, H2O should flow opposite the the flow of the oil.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lee
T-stat should be on the oil out side, H2O should flow opposite the the flow of the oil.
You daaa man, thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

I think the oil Does go into the cooler were the thermostat is installed on the left side because as the tstat heats up it close's the bypass not total sure but I have seen the tsat that it uses.

Last edited by Rockfish71; 04-02-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 PM
jfm
Registered

I don't know if it helps but I found this pic http://www.octanemarine.com/images/cb7.jpg
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The oil needs to enter the cooler on the thermostat end.(the left end in your pic) It doesn't matter which way you plumb the water. I have tried them both ways (with the flow of oil and against the flow of oil) and it never made a difference.
Eddie
Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I should of made it clearer as in engine oil out side to the T-stat.

As far as Parallel vs Counter Flow of the oil to H2O, Counter Flow is ALWAYS more efficient as seen here:http://www.engineersedge.com/heat_ex...nger_types.htm
What you have experienced with the oil temp not making a difference means that the t-stat was doing it's job but it was doing it at a different percentage of the of the t-stat, with Parallel H20 flow the stat may have been opened at 80% to maintain the temp, with Counter Flow H2O it would approximately be opened at 60% to maintain temp thus making the cooler more efficient and able to handle a higher load and still maintain temp. The Parallel flow would reach it's max cooling capacity before the Counter Flow.

Counter-flow also has 3 other advantages over the parallel flow design, more uniform temperature difference between the two fluids which minimizes the thermal stresses throughout the exchanger, the outlet temperature of the cold fluid can approach the highest temperature of the hot fluid (the inlet temperature). and the more uniform temperature difference produces a more uniform rate of heat transfer throughout the heat exchanger.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

OK OK so I will put the oil into the cooler on the left side (t-stat side) and the the oil will come out of the cooler on the other side of where the t-stat is.. I was always told to have the oil and water flow in diffrent direction. Thanks guys for the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.