External Tie Bar or Not ?

Notices
Formula

External Tie Bar or Not ?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Tie Bar or Not ?

I've tried posting this in the technical section and only received two responses and was hoping for more...so I figured I would try it hear.

I have a few folks telling me I should go with an external tie bar and then a few folks telling me it is a huge mistake...so looking for some feedback from the guys who most likely have a ton of experience in this area....below are the details.

Have a 2008 Forumula 31PC, so basically a cruiser with relatively good power. Twin Merc 496 Mag, so 375 HP or so each, Bravo III drives...WOT around 50 MPH. Typically though I cruise, mid 30's all day long.

A few folks are telling me that I MUST add a external tie bar, as it will save my gimbal ring...not so much because of the speed, but because I boat in Lake Erie, and TONS of waves and rough water and this takes a toll on the drives over time.

So what are your thoughts ? Hate to waste the money if not needed, but if it DOES save my gimbal, then money well worth it...

IF this makes sense, I am then confused on one more item...some folks are telling me to remove the internal tie bars first...however Merc Manual makes this statement. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

If you need any more details, just let me know.

IMPORTANT: Mercury Marine does not recommend the use of an external tie bar
ONLY with no internal tie bar when using the internal power steering system. This can
cause excessive loads on the steering components on the drive connected to the internal
power steering system. These increased loads can damage the steering components,
resulting in increased play in the steering of the boat
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was me I would put one on. They are certainly not going to hurt anything as long as you are carefull to keep your drives trimmed at roughly the same angle. I would leave the internal bar in place. That is how they have always done it on boats that come with tie bars and no external steering. My Formula 311 and 302 both had the internal in place from the factory.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Ok, thanks much your thoughts...

I finally did get a FEW more responses in the general forum PLUS I talked to Formula Direct...

Seems to be a bit of confusion around this, but the general opinion is that it does make tons of sense!

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

instigator31,

I have a 93' 34PC that I repowored in 09. Twin 454's, putting out 475HP each, and installed a tie bar, and have not had any issues.

As Audiofn states, just be careful when trimming the drives to make sure they are in sync.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
instigator31,

I have a 93' 34PC that I repowored in 09. Twin 454's, putting out 475HP each, and installed a tie bar, and have not had any issues.

As Audiofn states, just be careful when trimming the drives to make sure they are in sync.
Sort of unrelated...but what is your top end on your 34 with that setup.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by instigator31
Sort of unrelated...but what is your top end on your 34 with that setup.
Fully loaded with full fuel, water and gear along with the first mate, can get lower 40's out of her, but she's riding pretty high at that point.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
Fully loaded with full fuel, water and gear along with the first mate, can get lower 40's out of her, but she's riding pretty high at that point.
Wow, I would think you go a bit faster...but then the 34's in that age are PRETTY heavy beasts...still that is awesome!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by instigator31
Wow, I would think you go a bit faster...but then the 34's in that age are PRETTY heavy beasts...still that is awesome!
Yeah, she's a bit heavy when loaded with fuel water and gear. But she cruises nice. And with the thru hull exhaust, nobody expects the sound she makes.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Please note that all the new Boats with Joystick Systems like Axius or Volvo Penta come without Tie Bar

they would of course not work with it since drives are steered independend from the computer

I don`t think that a Tie bar is required at speeds less than 50 MPH

We had run a 350 SS with 496 HO´s and Axius that did easy and troublefree 60 MPH without Tie Bar