Buying Motor from GT Performance Engineering. Have Tech Q's >

Buying Motor from GT Performance Engineering. Have Tech Q's

Notices

Buying Motor from GT Performance Engineering. Have Tech Q's

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying Motor from GT Performance Engineering. Have Tech Q's

I have put a deposit with every intent to purchase a BBC 502 bored to 509 that puts out 550?hp.

I have heard good things about GT and I have spoken with Gary several times and feel very comfortable dealing with him. i have asked him to do a compression and leakdown test and this is the results:

Compression all 150lb
Leak Down -
1)10
2)16
3)10
4)10
5)11
6)12
7)14
8)10
I am a little concerned about #2. the motor has been sitting for several months, in his shop, and has 30 hours since build.

any input would be appreciated!!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by 4czn
I have put a deposit with every intent to purchase a BBC 502 bored to 509 that puts out 550?hp.

I have heard good things about GT and I have spoken with Gary several times and feel very comfortable dealing with him. i have asked him to do a compression and leakdown test and this is the results:

Compression all 150lb
Leak Down -
1)10
2)16
3)10
4)10
5)11
6)12
7)14
8)10
I am a little concerned about #2. the motor has been sitting for several months, in his shop, and has 30 hours since build.

any input would be appreciated!!!!!
Hot,those numbers would be a concern,,if it was cold then they will seal up..have him run the engine and video tape it so you can hear it run,,if its close then have him fire it up for you in person..
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

We are going to do a lake test after he installs it, and i was thinking of doing anothe compression test and leakdown after we run it. What do you think?

i have been burned so often, that i just want to make sure i'm getting a decent motor before i give up my dependable turnkey 502...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not invest in a dyno run. Recheck it after its warmed up. Can't cost any more than installing and possibly having to pull it back out. Maybe he would split dyno fee with you?