Notices
Formula

No start... Not even a noise

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No start... Not even a noise

Here's the situation: '81 233LS, OMC 260 (chevy 350), stringer 800 outdrive, single interstate marine battery. Bought the boat in Jan. Went to fire it for the first time this morning after charging the battery for 24hrs. All systems came online, lights, gauges, outdrive trim works, etc. But not a single sound from the motor. No crank, click, or anything... Does the boat have a safety other than the key? Is there a fuse I'm missing that would commonly be out? Is this a typical symptom? Someone wiser than me chime in please!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
Here's the situation: '81 233LS, OMC 260 (chevy 350), stringer 800 outdrive, single interstate marine battery. Bought the boat in Jan. Went to fire it for the first time this morning after charging the battery for 24hrs. All systems came online, lights, gauges, outdrive trim works, etc. But not a single sound from the motor. No crank, click, or anything... Does the boat have a safety other than the key? Is there a fuse I'm missing that would commonly be out? Is this a typical symptom? Someone wiser than me chime in please!!
Neutral safety switch . Make sure it's in neutral and not
even slightly in gear.

Last edited by jus roamn; 04-14-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

I'm not a boat mechanic but I have a boat so I know a little bit. Make sure the safety lanyard is on good if the boat has one, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, could be neutral safety switch jiggle the shifter while trying to start it. good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love OSO!!!! You guys rock. Thanks Jus
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boat hasn't been run in almost 7mon and I bought it sight unseen without knowing if the motor was good. A little choke and she lit off faster than any boat I've ever seen on ancient Gas. I love chevy motors!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I love OSO!!!! You guys rock. Thanks Jus
Boat hasn't been run in almost 7mon and I bought it sight unseen without knowing if the motor was good. A little choke and she lit off faster than any boat I've ever seen on ancient Gas. I love chevy motors!!!
Congrats! It's a great sound to hear your boat running for the first time in the spring!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well seeing I've never had this one running it was awesome. Carb needs rebuild badly though. Should be a fun time and hopefully next thursday she'll see water