gen V gen vi block swap >

gen V gen vi block swap

Notices

gen V gen vi block swap

Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen V gen vi block swap

Does anyone know if a roller cam from a gen V 502 will work/fit in a gen VI 502 block?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

The Gen V did not come with a factory roller cam. The Gen VI block will accept a roller cam, the factory cam has a stepped nose and uses a front hold down plate to control movement. The Gen VI block also will accept factory roller lifters and do not require the more expensive tie-bar style. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Default gen V gen VI 502 camshafts

Thanks Boat 1.the problem I have is I have to replace my Gen v block part way through a build,and have new retro fit comp cams genV cam and lifter kit tie bar style just wondering if anyone has made this work in a gen VI block or am I stuck with purchasing a whole new set up.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 871fountainfever
Thanks Boat 1.the problem I have is I have to replace my Gen v block part way through a build,and have new retro fit comp cams genV cam and lifter kit tie bar style just wondering if anyone has made this work in a gen VI block or am I stuck with purchasing a whole new set up.
I don't think the retro lifters will work in the gen 6 block.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I don't think the retro lifters will work in the gen 6 block.
The lifters should work, you just leave off the dogbone lifter parts. Somone correct me if I am wrong on that. The timing chain cover is different and the Gen VI cam would have a stepped nose. So I do not think a Gen V cam will work on a Gen VI block.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam won't have the stepped nose to retain it with the normal Gen VI retainer behind the timing chain sprocket. However, someone probably makes a cam button that will serve this purpose. You will also have an issue finding a timing chain that will work - Gen V and Mk IV timing sprocket has a different bolt pattern than the Gen VI. you can run a Gen V timing chain, but you might not get it to fit under the Gen VI 6-bolt timing cover. I think I have read about people using a Gen V cover on a Gen VI block by drilling and tapping some of the extra cover holes. Someone probably makes an aftermarket cover that will clear, but these can get pricey.

The tie-bar lifters may work if the bars are high enough on the lifter body to avoid interference with the taller lifter bosses in the Gen VI block. I know several people who are running Morel tie bar lifters in Gen VI 502's, so I know it's possible. If the lift on the cam is not extreme (i.e., the base circle is not real far from stock), you may be able to use the GM lifters and dog-bone system with your cam, but this may create other issues with pushrod length.

You will probably be OK with your cam in the Gen VI block, but you will just have to mock everything up to know for sure.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to replace the oil bypass in the filter boss if this was not originally a marine Gen VI block. Non marine engines came with the 11 lb bypass instead of the 30 lb needed for the cooler and extra lines. There's a lot of threads about this. Do a search if you are not familiar with this. You could wreck and engine in a matter of hours with the wrong bypass.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
The lifters should work, you just leave off the dogbone lifter parts. Somone correct me if I am wrong on that.
Can't run the retro's without the tie bar. They are round all the way up the lifter. There would be nothing to keep them from turning in the bores. The gen 6 style lifters have flat spots on the sides at the top. Then they use lifter guides and a retainer to keep them from turning in the bores. As Budman said they may work if the tie bars are high enough on them to clear the lifter bore bosses which are .300 taller on a gen 6.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem is the timing set. A Gen V cam will fit and work in a Gen VI block. You will have to use a MK IV/Gen V timing set because the bolt circle on the Gen VI is different. You will not be able to use the retaining plate on the front of the Gen VI block since the Gen V cam doesn't have a stepped nose.
A Gen VI double roller timing set has quite a bit of setback in it. It is made to go back towards the block, where a MK IV/Gen V double roller is pretty straight. The Gen VI actually goes back in toward the block (if that makes sense) There is no way to get MK IV/Gen V double roller timing set to fit under a stock Gen VI cover. I have tried it. The only way will be with an aftermarket cover. The only one that I know of will be from IMCO. I'm still not sure if it will work though. I would give them a call and see if they know (1800-899-8058, talk to Rick)
Pretty much any retro-fit lifter will work in a Gen VI. As Jeffswave mentioned, just leave the Gen VI parts out (dogbones and spider hold down).
Picklen Jim, that's what Jeff was referring to. Not leaving off the tie bars on the retro lifters, but leaving out the Gen VI dogbones and spider if he uses the retro lifters from the Gen V.
I would stick with the Gen VI lifters if they will work. They are excellent pieces. You will have to check them though. Put the cam and a pair of lifters in. Turn the engine over and check to make sure the lifters neither go down to far to come out of the dogbone nor come up high enough to hit the dog bone and raise it up. If the lifter falls out the bottom of the dog bone, bad, bad things will happen.
Hope this helps.
Eddie

Last edited by Young Performance; 04-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Can't run the retro's without the tie bar. They are round all the way up the lifter. There would be nothing to keep them from turning in the bores. The gen 6 style lifters have flat spots on the sides at the top. Then they use lifter guides and a retainer to keep them from turning in the bores. As Budman said they may work if the tie bars are high enough on them to clear the lifter bore bosses which are .300 taller on a gen 6.
I thought that is what I said. You would not use the dogbone style parts if using the retro lifters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.