Notices

Starter problem

Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem

I have a 300 tempest 350 and I need some help dissecting the starter problems. I tried starting it up 3 weeks ago and when I did it sounded like the starter was grinding. I unbolted it and looked for damage, everything looked ok then I reinstalled. I then tried again about a week ago and the engine turned over with a few cranks, then started to grind again. I tried a third time yesterday and it just ground...this is getting frustrating. The engines haven't been started in about 1.5 years. Any ideas as to what it could be. I see two starters were offered for that engine dependent on the flywheel size and I believe the right one is installed. Where do I start??
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

It could be hydrolocked. Remove the spark plugs and see if it cranks normally.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Registered

Next time you remove the starter take it to a starter rebuild place or an automotive parts house and have it checked out for a "load" test. This way you will be able to see if it is kicking in all the way and how many amps it may be drawing.

Cliff
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

If it was hydrolocked wouldn't it not turn over? or maybe it turned over enough to compress a cyclinder with possible water in it?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

It depends on how much water is in there. Regardless, you need to not crank it anymore with the spark plugs in until you verify it is not water in the cylinders.

If you had a hung open exhaust valve from sitting it would take a big gulp of exhaust water on every down stoke of the piston.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

it sounds to me like the solenoid that engages the gear might be bad. I would replace the starter all together.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

you also might be able to grease up the gear so it can engage easier.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter bolts may be the wrong lenght, (too long) engine sitting for a long time was enough load and cocks the starter. So now it grinds, you removed it, no problem reinstalled with the same bolts that are really bottoming out and not keeping the starter tight.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

Does your starter have a support bracket? Mine didn't and I had all kinds of starter issues until I installed one. The bracket bolts from the end of the starter to the block and helps support the end and when cranking.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Does your starter have a support bracket? Mine didn't and I had all kinds of starter issues until I installed one. The bracket bolts from the end of the starter to the block and helps support the end and when cranking.
HighBid, No support brackets, only two bolts that bolt from the bottom of the starter upwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.